• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV for NY state

omegafatality

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and am looking at purchasing a 1986 M998 and registering it for street use. I here many different things as you cant register it as a road vehicle, Or its only allowed for off-road and I'm not sure what to make of all the different responses so i figure i would come straight to the source and figure out the consensus for this. I know this varies state by state, but with the new SF forms, i know you can obtain a title, but are these strictly off-road use only vehicles? If some light can be shed on this, it would make my life a lot simpler. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

ExFlyBoy

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and am looking at purchasing a 1986 M998 and registering it for street use. I here many different things as you cant register it as a road vehicle, Or its only allowed for off-road and I'm not sure what to make of all the different responses so i figure i would come straight to the source and figure out the consensus for this. I know this varies state by state, but with the new SF forms, i know you can obtain a title, but are these strictly off-road use only vehicles? If some light can be shed on this, it would make my life a lot simpler. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
Fighting the issue here in Illinois.... don’t think the DMV likes me very much right now... look up illinois title issues humvee and read the letter they sent me, after buying a on road titled Wisconsin humvee.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Terms of contract.
All information is there on GovPlanet.

ryanruck

Howdy,
Terms of contract.
All information is there on GovPlanet.
As are trucks previously sold by GP under that contract, cleaned up, and now being resold by 3rd parties on GP with street legal titles.

2017-10-24_22-39-40.jpg

GP sure doesn't seem to have a problem making money off of this apparent breach of contract...

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not breach of contract. Show me the contract and the penalties for violating this non existent contract Ryan and Daybreak. They simply say they are sold for off road use only, so if your DMV won't allow them to be titled ect their butt is covered.

http://www.govplanet.com/buyer-faq?kwtag=navbar 6th FAQ down. Are HMMWV's street-legal? Not to start with. HMMWVs from the DLA cannot be taken on the road until you meet your state’s vehicle inspection requirements, and receive a state title and registration from your local DMV or State titling authority. However, some HMMWVs are sold on consignment, where the previous owner may already received proper titling and registration. Not all states will accept out of state titling documents on HMMWVs or other Former Military Vehicles. Please ensure that you contact your state titling/registration authority for your individual state’s requirements.

Last edited:

ryanruck

It's not breach of contract. Show me the contract and the penalties for violating this non existent contract Ryan. They simply say they are sold for off road use only, so if your DMV won't allow them to be titled ect their butt is covered.
You misunderstand. I agree with you completely! :mrgreen: I probably should have put the breach of contract part in quotes...

"Yer breakin' da contract!" is just one thing folks like to claim makes getting a street legal title "illegal".

Besides everyone always forgets contract law is civil law, not criminal. :wink:

ETA: Wow, that quoted part you added is very interesting! That never used to be on their site and I had no idea they had added it. An interesting change in stance they've taken...

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You misunderstand. I agree with you completely! :mrgreen: I probably should have put the breach of contract part in quotes...

"Yer breakin' da contract!" is just one thing folks like to claim makes getting a street legal title "illegal".

Besides everyone always forgets contract law is civil law, not criminal. :wink:

ETA: Wow, that quoted part you added is very interesting! That never used to be on their site and I had no idea they had added it. An interesting change in stance they've taken...
Sometimes like texts the internet is hard to determine exactly your feelings, I apologize, I mistook your post. Didn't see the illinois post you responded to till after here. Exactly.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks