• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv fuel delivery run issue

over the last 2 years I picked up 3 humvees from GovPlanet. I had no isssues with the first 2. My third is a having fuel delivery issues. This unit had been thru a rebuild. Practically all new under the body. Rebuilt engine ect.,all new 50 miles since the rebuild 8 years ago. The engine will start and run well for 3-10 minutes at idle. I have not driven it on the road just into the shop. It runs until it runs out of fuel. You can start it back up again and it does the same thing. Things I have checked. (Mike Vaden has been coaching me thru some trouble shooting, great guy. ) I have remove the check valves in the fuel line near the tank. I have replaced the fuel filter. The mechanical lift pump seems to be putting out tons of fuel. This is what blows my mind. I have traced the fuel system up to the ip. I bypassed the water fuel separator to a small clear fuel filter for testing. So at this point. I crank the engine. Get the little glass filter full of fuel. It runs for a few minutes and the glass filter slowing runs out of fuel. This is what gets me. If I disconnect the fuel line from the filter going to the injection pump fuel comes rushing into the filter like there was air pressure keeping fuel from filling the filter. Could the IP be pushing air back towards the fuel pump? The fuel return line on top of the IP is tribbling fuel our when running. The hard return line is clear blow thru it back to the tank. Do I need to bleed the air out down by the injectors?

Welder1

over the last 2 years I picked up 3 humvees from GovPlanet. I had no isssues with the first 2. My third is a having fuel delivery issues. This unit had been thru a rebuild. Practically all new under the body. Rebuilt engine ect.,all new 50 miles since the rebuild 8 years ago. The engine will start and run well for 3-10 minutes at idle. I have not driven it on the road just into the shop. It runs until it runs out of fuel. You can start it back up again and it does the same thing. Things I have checked. (Mike Vaden has been coaching me thru some trouble shooting, great guy. ) I have remove the check valves in the fuel line near the tank. I have replaced the fuel filter. The mechanical lift pump seems to be putting out tons of fuel. This is what blows my mind. I have traced the fuel system up to the ip. I bypassed the water fuel separator to a small clear fuel filter for testing. So at this point. I crank the engine. Get the little glass filter full of fuel. It runs for a few minutes and the glass filter slowing runs out of fuel. This is what gets me. If I disconnect the fuel line from the filter going to the injection pump fuel comes rushing into the filter like there was air pressure keeping fuel from filling the filter. Could the IP be pushing air back towards the fuel pump? The fuel return line on top of the IP is tribbling fuel our when running. The hard return line is clear blow thru it back to the tank. Do I need to bleed the air out down by the injectors?

Just a thought check the tank venting. Sounds like the fuel tank maybe coming under vacuum.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is a Rosa Master IP, what GM seems to like using, they are notorious for the rubber coupling (inside the IP) shedding pieces and plugging the return check valve, it is mounted in the pump and is part of the return fitting, If you unscrew the fitting there should be a small glass check ball in there, if you see black then there is a piece of rubber stuck in the valve and that will cause the symptoms you describe.
IF so you can drill out the check valve and test, (I have never been successful at clearing the check valve, just replace it when you get the pump rebuilt) it will run with no back pressure but that will not fix the underlying issue in the IP
IP.JPG The check valve is #13

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The IP may be the culprit, especially since it's a known failure item.

Before I read that explanation, my thoughts were blocked lines. Easy enough to blow them out with low pressure compressed air. A line can have partial blockage and still pass fuel briefly in good quantity form that stored in the unblocked portion of the line downstream of the blockage, but be unable to supply continuous due to the partial blockage. Did you check your fuel pump screen in the tank? Granted I wouldn't want to drop the tank to inspect until I'd tried everything else...

Bulldogger

I did remove the check valve #13. The ball did seem stiff and I couldn’t blow thru it. I poked the spring loaded ball and got it moving. I replaced it with one from my other running hmmwv. I had the same results, but maybe it’s clogged again. The ball seems like it’s made of glass. Can that be removed and will the pump still function properly? How much fuel flow should you see from That hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a good steady flow from the hose, basically it is bypassing all the diesel the IP is not using with a little back pressure, I have made it home a couple times after drilling out the valve back in my 5.7L days, I have run my JD310 backhoe and 350 dozer for several months without the valve before having the pump rebuilt.
As stated above it could also be a plugged return line.
EDIT yes this is the correct forum

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I looked it up and GM went to a Stanadyne IP, looks like and probably acts the same as a Rosa Master

gem1410

600 mile truck-- completely clogged --600 mile truck--inside of return line was rusty and the diesel turned to sludge--disconnect your fuel return metal line and run the return line from the injector pump into a 5 gal pail--see how it runs--

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen the issue you are describing caused by the need to bleed, usually hard starting, rough running are the symptoms of air in the injector lines.
So you say it starts, runs smoothly for 5-10min at idle and then just falls dead? Then how long do you have to wait until it will start again?
Have you tried running a line from the IP return into a bucket?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you blew through the line (and that was worth checking), you definitely should bleed the injectors now.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks