• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV glow plug/controller question(s).

pigdog

Was having trouble starting the Beast on cold mornings. Wait light comes on for approx. 8 seconds and goes off, but will crank and crank while putting out white smoke until it eventually starts.
A multimeter showed that power was going to glow plugs so I replaced the glow plugs.
Still having issues.
New plugs fail resistance test; pulled one and its already swollen.
Further testing shows that no matter how long I let the truck run, the smart box is always putting 24ish volts to the plugs, which explains why they have failed already.

So, I'm guessing it is time for a new box (it is a yellow labeled Natron).

Is there anything else I can test before throwing money at a new box and hope it fixes it?

And what else does does the box do? I read that it controls other functions but no one seems to say exactly what those functions are, and say that's why you shouldn't just wire up a manual control for the glow plugs.

Also, will it damage anything to pull all the glow plug wires until I fix it?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Happens every winter to a Humv, or anytime. I have written many post to this. One can go QEM with the latest S3 smart box. Bring your wallet.

Glow plugs most likey toast. 24 Volt for more than a minute and POOF ! Another 90 bucks and that may not be the final fix. Cold weather, white smoke, more cold weather, hard on batteries and a starter $$$$ and don't get the big idea to using starting fluid IMO. Engine $$$$$ The little computer grelim in the"BOX" is reaching to your wallet

I am not a fan of the overly engineered and costly "Box" as in generic to the system to replace.

Been there, didn't do that. CAMO

Last edited:

87m998

I am interested in doing this mod, my smart box hasn't failed yet would like to get ahead of the game.
thanks

pigdog

Well, before I get to far with this, I need to change my voltage regulator, which likes to spike after starting and may have caused my smartbox to go bad in the first place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks