• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Headlight Grounds location

RogerThat!

Where are the headlights grounded? Is there a spot on frame or other steel part? Different from the other lights?

Have a 2006 M1097R1. Having fits with headlights.

I have the wiring diagram printed out. I am not getting power to the headlights with the switch in proper position. Oddly, I had another three lever switch and it did turn on headlights...but all others were dim. And inside the switch lots of corrosion and burned contacts. SO, disaster there, too.

With new switch, I have all the lights working except headlights, brake lights. All the markers, turn signals, etc. Work. The dash lights don't work, except for the brake and glow plug lights, which do.

I'm trying to find a bad ground, which I suspect is behind all this.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the possibility you have a Chicom knockoff new switch discussed on your other thread?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you confirmed you have 24V at the dimmer switch with the wires plugged in? and that it is switching the output connections again with the wires plugged in?

RogerThat!

Was the possibility you have a Chicom knockoff new switch discussed on your other thread?
Yes. And I was just hoping that the source of my new switch sold me a legit one. The screws/threads, etc. all seem to be good machine screws, and not wood screws, etc. I haven't opened it up. I guess I should.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You still need to get the mater out and trace the issue rather than just swapping parts, you ether do or don't have 24V going in and out of the dimmer switch, if not look at the switch if you do look towards the lights.
Again you need to do this with all the wires connected, use a probe with a sharp tip to pierce the wire insulation.
As you saw when RWH posted pictures of a real and Chicom switch they are almost impossible to ID
I just went and looked at the WKS site and the only switch I see listed is an AFTERMARKET switch that is code for Chicom crap.
You are not going to buy a new factory switch for $89

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not say aftermarket on the sale page but use their drop down tab for "products" then choose "aftermarket HMMWV parts" and there is your switch.

RogerThat!

So, I took my meter out along with my wiring diagrams.

I have power coming into the three lever switch on circuit 15A.

But no power out from terminal M to 16A, the high beam switch and thence to headlights.

And no power out to 40A from terminal B, the panel lights.

So, would you agree that the problem seems to be in the three lever switch.

I put the old three lever switch in, and head lights do work. I really think you were right about the switch being the problem.

Getting a refund on old switch and hope to get a good new one.

Will report back.