• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Headlight Issue

greenesayle

This is my first post so I apologize if it’s in the wrong place. I bought my first MV last week and have been doing numerous things to it. I noticed the headlights wouldn’t work so I replaced them with a set I ordered online. After install I turned on the lights. On low beam the driver side worked great but passenger didn’t at all. On high beam driver side was brighter and passenger side worked but immediately started getting too hot and filled with smoke then cracked before I could get it shut off. I followed the way the former light was plugged in but being that it didn’t work I’m not sure was right. Any idea on issue? Also, is there a diagram for the headlight plugs? I tried downloading the TM pdf but it wouldn’t pull up. Thanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the bulbs say 24 volt on them somewhere. Some bulbs that are older stock have the vacuum inside leak and then the bulb fails immediately like you describe.

papakb

If you ordered incandescent headlights the #91 ground contact is in the center with the #18 low beam on one side and the #17 high beam on the other. The headlight bucket should be marker accordingly. Now if you ordered LED headlights the #91 ground will be off to one side and the #17 and #18 lamps will be the center and other side.

The wires to the headlight bucket should be marked and connected to the harness wires externally and then the wires inside the bucket should also be connected properly. There are lots of chances for errors so be careful with your wiring. It's the major cause of lamps not working properly.

If the metal wire tags are missing then you need to wring it all out with a meter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the lights and what were they (LED etc) you cannot wire a 24V incandescent light wrong and burn it out, but as stated above they can "fail"
You need to check the wire tag numbers on both sides of the headlight bucket, they unplug from the back of the shell and quite often get plugged back in wrong, make sure the inside wire tag matches the same wire on the back.

greenesayle

They were regular not LED from Amazon. Here’s a pic of my order. Also, they didn’t start smoking until I turned them on high beam if their matters. 86249B8F-5E53-4E0E-8A08-40843DECD1C2.png86249B8F-5E53-4E0E-8A08-40843DECD1C2.png

greenesayle

If you ordered incandescent headlights the #91 ground contact is in the center with the #18 low beam on one side and the #17 high beam on the other. The headlight bucket should be marker accordingly. Now if you ordered LED headlights the #91 ground will be off to one side and the #17 and #18 lamps will be the center and other side.

The wires to the headlight bucket should be marked and connected to the harness wires externally and then the wires inside the bucket should also be connected properly. There are lots of chances for errors so be careful with your wiring. It's the major cause of lamps not working properly.

If the metal wire tags are missing then you need to wring it all out with a meter.
Thanks. I didn’t see wire tags on the outgoing plugs. I just unplugged the original and plugged the new based on the original wires. The original wires may have been plugged in wrong. Will try again.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lamp that burned out was defective, as I said there in no way to wire an incandescent lamp and burn it out, unless you had the truck on a charger that was putting out 30+++ volts.
As I said look at the BACK of the headlight shell and make sure all the tags match with the front tags

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were regular not LED from Amazon. Here’s a pic of my order. Also, they didn’t start smoking until I turned them on high beam if their matters. View attachment 881371View attachment 881371
Wolfer/COMTAC is an importer of cheap chinese junk, with a known high failure rate.

"TACOM" isn't a brand, it's a subordinate command of Army Material Command. They aren't a manufacturer, just the supply system for the Army.

download (4).jpg

Highlighted section of the description is claiming it's both manufactured in United States as well as being a non-domestic product.

Last edited:

greenesayle

The lamp that burned out was defective, as I said there in no way to wire an incandescent lamp and burn it out, unless you had the truck on a charger that was putting out 30+++ volts.
As I said look at the BACK of the headlight shell and make sure all the tags match with the front tags
Thanks. I’ve got another st ordered and will try that. I appreciate it the help!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just purchase round Jeep headlight and don’t hook up the outer circle lights. If you want the outer circles you need a 12-24V power inverter. The lights themselves are ok, but will need packard plug wire connectors that can be stolen from the old lights ($60).

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old Thread I know.....can someone clarify whether the price($193!!!) is for a pair or per???? I reached out to the manf but havn't heard back.
I paid about $250 _each_ for the ones on my rig. I would do it again.

I like the look, the connectors are correct.

Someone has previously put Jeep lights on my HMMWV, but in order for them to fit they had a connector adapter and had to bang a huge dent in part of the bucket. Two correct buckets (needed them anyway when I replaced the hood) and the 2 proper military style headlines and everything worked the first time (except one of the headlights two wires were marked backwards, but after that)...

CapePrep

I went with the jeep recommendation because of a guy on YT, Dakota, don't know his last name. I have bought 2 of these this week with the same results. SO pissed! Immediately upon turning them on, they fog right up. To the point of water dripping on inside of lens.
I had to modify the hat for them to fit, but that was super easy. I don't know what the issue is. They are one of the highest rated ones on amazon. I am sending both sets back tomorrow. The only common denominator is the 24volts. So now I am trying to search what is best. Would rather not spend $500 on 2 headlights. All 4 did the exact same thing.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with the jeep recommendation because of a guy on YT, Dakota, don't know his last name. I have bought 2 of these this week with the same results. SO pissed! Immediately upon turning them on, they fog right up. To the point of water dripping on inside of lens.
I had to modify the hat for them to fit, but that was super easy. I don't know what the issue is. They are one of the highest rated ones on amazon. I am sending both sets back tomorrow. The only common denominator is the 24volts. So now I am trying to search what is best. Would rather not spend $500 on 2 headlights. All 4 did the exact same thing.
It clearly says 12V

CapePrep

It clearly says 12V
You are correct, but from my research, you can use those because of the LED feature. A wide voltage range. If they blew, I can get that, but the light function worked perfectly, it was just the condensation inside. Makes no sense

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks