• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Headlights go out intermittently. Bad switch????

pcarexpress

I have a weird problem with the headlights on a 88 HMMWV. The headlights go out intermittently while driving or if I apply the throttle at idle shortly after startup. Only the headlights though. All of the other lights work fine. The voltage gauge pegs over to the right in the red at the same time the lights are out. After 10-15 seconds the lights come back on and the gauge goes back to the green.
Ive tried the search feature. But, either i'm not wording my inquiry right or there's nothing similar there? Ive double checked the wire connections for the headlights and installed a grounding kit. No improvement. Im thinking now it must be a short or other problem with the light switch since it only effects headlights? They're LED Headlights. Does this make sense to anyone else? Or does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The scenario you are describing has not been discussed here. My guess is that the alternator voltage regulator is failing, and your LED headlights have over overvoltage protection that is cutting them out.

Wire Fox

The scenario you are describing has not been discussed here. My guess is that the alternator voltage regulator is failing, and your LED headlights have over overvoltage protection that is cutting them out.
That's exactly what I was thinking. LED lights usually incorporate protection circuits since they're more sensitive to voltage spikes and damage from overheating. You probably have an issue with the regulator on your alternator, since it initially seems that a rapid increase in engine speed causes the voltage to go way out of whack, which may be why you see it only intermittently while driving.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk