• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv in MY area, amazing find for me, ashamed i cant afford it right now

BugEyeBear

Amazing to me that the price of a running Military HMMWV is often higher that the price of a Civilian Hummer.

At first I wanted to find/buy a HMMWV, but after I discovered what kind of $$ were gonna be needed to obtain one in good running & physical condition I instead opted for a Civi Hummer.

I Love It!
It gets tons of attention, goes anywhere, is quite comfortable for long drives, is relatively easy to get parts for, has many options available for engine & driveline upgrades, and turns heads at every gas station & rest stop!!

Maybe ONE DAY I'll opt to paint it OD.....

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The civi hummer is the modern day Willys CJ2A. Campare the prices of like condition CJ2As to a WWII jeep. A WWII jeep will easily bring twice as much or more than the CJ2A. This is going to happen to the Hummer versus the HMMWV. The HMMWV already brings more money than a like condition early model hummer. Supply versus demand.

For me no matter what you do to a Hummer it will never be a HMMWV.

BugEyeBear

Well those are all good points "SETOYOTA".
But I bought my H1 to drive & use... :driver: so I really don't care about what the value will be in 20 or 40 years. (I'll be lucky to still be kickin' in 40 years!!)

I initially looked at HMMWVs, but the prices seemed overinflated to me.
But once I drove the H1 I found myself liking the increased comfort, higher max highway speed, better selection of trucks for sale, AND Air Conditioning!!

Maybe ONE DAY I'll pick-up a HMMWV to add to my collection, but for now I'm happy with the civi cousin!

AT LEAST it isn't one of those wanna-be Ford Ranger fiberglass kit Hummers!! <LOL>

"Cheers!" :beer:

PS: You'll note that I do also own a CJ2A!! <LOL>

Last edited:

XanRa

agreed but honestly so far i have had trouble finding a decent hummer below 30,000 thats usualy the lowest most people will go... so naturaly why not go for the more populer and more capable military grade parent of the hummer, right? thats ,my reasonong and my defense to thoughs who think im spending to much money, lol yes im :cookoo: but all i have to say is:beer: and embrace the madness lol
ok im going "visit" this hmmwv next(or this, depending on when you read this) week anything specific i should actuely look for? i know the vampire issue is one thing but i have no idea how to look for that. anything i should ask the owner? im also proubly going to try and get him to get involved here... hecould afford the hmmwv he can afford other things he just needs our..... encouregement lol

BugEyeBear

As a price point reference, I've seen nice H1 Hummers go for as little as $20K-$22K, and I recently saw a nice Gasser H1 sell locally for only $16K (I still kick myself for missing out on that one!!).
I paid $25K for mine, but it was an exceptionally clean and well-equipped low-mileage 6.5L NA model from SoCal.

I say "can't we all just get along?" & look forward to possibly bringing my yellow Civi H1 to the next local MV event!! :smile:

Attachments

XanRa

lol but my specs are a little bit harder to meet i personaly will not touch anything thats not diesel and weighs more than around a ton and a half, and it has to be hard top...
and i will proubly work out a deal with this person(hopefully) for a bit less he has quite a bit if spare parts too for 4door and 2door...
and also i wasjust scanning ebay and theres a crappy softop crappy tired all stock 83 hmmwv for 37,000 lol no extra anything ethier lol

BugEyeBear

...ok im going "visit" this hmmwv next(or this, depending on when you read this) week anything specific i should actuely look for? i know the vampire issue is one thing but i have no idea how to look for that. anything i should ask the owner? ...
In addition to the info you'll find here on SS, take a look at this site for tech info & parts vendors, AND some Classifieds...
Hummer Knowledge Base [thumbzup]

BugEyeBear

Here's a few items to look for:

Vulnerable areas are ball joints, tie rod ends, front springs (sag), CV joints & boots...
Check the undercarriage for hard impacts from heavy off-roading, especially the a-frames & the frame cross-members (the front-most cross-member usually takes the most abuse...).
Check the frame rails for rust.
Check the spring perches on the lower a-frames for rust-thru.
Check all of the hub-gear-boxes for signs of leaks.
Check the diffs & xfer-case for leaks.
Check the oil-pan, trans, & xfer for signs of impacts.
Check the frame to body mounts.

Everything is fixable. But it all impacts the selling/buying price.

That's a start... I'm sure that others can add their recommendations.....

Good Hunting!! :smile:

richark998

Yellow M998 from Freedom Pa sold

I bought it last Saturday and trailered it home. The paint color is "Slime Green" but it wont be for long. Has a TAN 4 door soft top. The paint job was really nice, hated to start sanding on it, but that color........... The engine compartment is incredibly dirty for a fire department vehicle. Had to modify the glow plug system to a manual button system like my tractor has. Needs some rubber items and a couple new gages, but its not too bad. Back seats are ratty. Fire Dept must have had a Pit Bull mascot. Its now the companion to my 1944 MB and my 1976 M151A2.

gunboy1656

I bought it last Saturday and trailered it home. The paint color is "Slime Green" but it wont be for long. Has a TAN 4 door soft top. The paint job was really nice, hated to start sanding on it, but that color........... The engine compartment is incredibly dirty for a fire department vehicle. Had to modify the glow plug system to a manual button system like my tractor has. Needs some rubber items and a couple new gages, but its not too bad. Back seats are ratty. Fire Dept must have had a Pit Bull mascot. Its now the companion to my 1944 MB and my 1976 M151A2.

Glad to see it is staying local. please post some more pics when you get the chance. Did the place you got it from still have the water buffalo and the dump truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks