• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV in snow and what tires work out best

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Anyone have some tire insight driving humvee in snow and what tires they had good traction with. Lots of bfg bajas on the market anyone try these in the snow? Ive only driven mine in light snow with the older block tread goodyears wasnt horrible but not great.
Thanks
Will

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just buy an extra set of GYs on wheels and drill the blocks and add studs.

They are much easier to stud than the bajas.

All BFGs can be drilled for studs though

Autonomy_Lost

Just buy an extra set of GYs on wheels and drill the blocks and add studs.

They are much easier to stud than the bajas.

All BFGs can be drilled for studs though
I could be wrong, but I heard you can only stud tires when they are new with 100% tread? And then the studs wear down as the tire wears.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I could be wrong, but I heard you can only stud tires when they are new with 100% tread? And then the studs wear down as the tire wears.
You can install studs anytime you want. They make them different lengths.

Most tires just already come prepared for this etc. The wranglers don't
Most people drive their cars everyday in winter etc for commuting purposes.

Generally you are only going to use your hmmwv in conditions that need it or on limited mileage.

I wouldn't worry with the wear.

M1165A1

I run BFG T/A KO2s on much more severe winter weather than you'll ever see in Connecticut and they are fantastic in the snow. You'll need to switch to 17" rims for that (I don't think they offer a 16.5 version for the 2 piece military rims).

And studs will destroy your driveway and garage and are totally unnecessary unless you are driving across a frozen lake on a daily basis. I've been through literally feet of snow in the KO2s and not needed them.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock goodyears were fine in the snow.. However they do tend to slide on stops (since the brakes can lock up fairly easily).

And I agree, unless you are crossing frozen lakes.. studs are generally not necessary. Just have to drive slow.

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you can just sipe your Goodyear MT Tires with a portable siping tool , There is plently of tread and it seems to work great on ice

Mariner

W
I run BFG T/A KO2s on much more severe winter weather than you'll ever see in Connecticut and they are fantastic in the snow. You'll need to switch to 17" rims for that (I don't think they offer a 16.5 version for the 2 piece military rims).

And studs will destroy your driveway and garage and are totally unnecessary unless you are driving across a frozen lake on a daily basis. I've been through literally feet of snow in the KO2s and not needed them.
What type of rim did you end up going with for the 17" rims? I live up in NH and I'm looking to do this for the winter time.

M1165A1

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The general consensus for the HMMWV is that in snow and is unstoppable.
Literally unable to stop.
Don't worry too much about sliding off into the ditch, the HMMWV can usually drive right back out of most ditches and continue on it's way.

That's what chains are for anyway

M1165A1

The general consensus for the HMMWV is that in snow and is unstoppable.
Literally unable to stop.
Don't worry too much about sliding off into the ditch, the HMMWV can usually drive right back out of most ditches and continue on it's way.

That's what chains are for anyway

Coug I agree at first my HMMWV was unstoppable - both good and bad - but I found with some active brake pumping it performs quite well in the snow. Definitely needs longer stopping distance than a car, but it is 3.5 tons.

I would love to get ahold of a Ricardo Defense ABS kit for the HMMWV - that would make my life much better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks