• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M1038 Engine, Roof install

logicbyondreason

Hi guys. My name is Pavel and I recently bought a 1986 M1038 HMMWV. It is an Army vehicle that is painted red. Another interesting thing about this one is that it has an LS1 Corvette engine in it right now. I want to put the 6.5 turbo diesel in. I am writing to you experts to see what I need to know about putting the engine in. The engine i have in mind is a GM 6.5 turbo that came out ouf a 94-99 pickup truck. Will it fit or will i need to make modifications? Also do all the GM engines just bolt up to the OEM tranny?
My second question is regarding the roof/hard doors. Currently, the truck has soft doors and a home-made roof on it. I would like to know how i would go about installing a hard roof and rear window. Who sells these parts for a decent price? Any photos of your vehicles would help out a lot.
If anyone is located around the Bremerton WA area let me know.
My email is logicbyondreason@gmail.com
Thank you in advance.

-Pavel

mudguppy

my question is why pull the engine out and replace it w/ one that has half of the power and less than adequate reliability?

Chief_919

Hi guys. My name is Pavel and I recently bought a 1986 M1038 HMMWV. It is an Army vehicle that is painted red. Another interesting thing about this one is that it has an LS1 Corvette engine in it right now. I want to put the 6.5 turbo diesel in. I am writing to you experts to see what I need to know about putting the engine in. The engine i have in mind is a GM 6.5 turbo that came out ouf a 94-99 pickup truck. Will it fit or will i need to make modifications? Also do all the GM engines just bolt up to the OEM tranny?

-Pavel
The 6.5 from a GM truck will not fit. GM trucks had the side mounted turbochargers, the HMMWV uses a center mount turbo setup. The same style setup is found in the GM vans, however.

A number of 6.5 powered step vans have been turning up on GL- I would look and see if these had the right turbo setup. Some have been turbo and some have been N/A.

You can't just swap intakes between the two types either- the center mount turbo engines use a different head that has a steeper angle on the intake manifold studs to clear the center mount turbo manifold. Those heads are only found on the version with the center mount turbo- the N/A and truck turbo 6.5's used one style head, the center mount turbos another.

The engine has the same bolt pattern as a GM small block, but you would need a diesel torque converter.

logicbyondreason

So you guys think i should just keep the LS1 in the truck? If i were to sell it would it sell higher with the LS1 or Diesel?
Regarding the roof and hard doors... does anyone have any ideas of how hard it is to convert from a soft top to a hardtop setup?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it takes a different B pillar. I think I know someone who is gonna have a spare top soon.