• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M1097 Problem please help!

Deven534

i have a M1097 HMMWV and i have a starting issue with the glowplugs. I would go to start it, after letting wait light go off, then id crank it and it would just crank and wouldnt fire until i had someone hold there hand on the exhaust and then it would start rt up when cold. i started troubleshooting by switching out the pcb box with another truck i have. both pcb boxs were yellow so they r the same. that didnt solve anything so then i got a new glowplug controller. still the problem remained. then i found out that all 8 glowplugs were bad. so i replaced them with new ones. after replacing glowplugs, when cold, the wait-to-start light comes on for a second and then goes off...it used to be on for at least 7 seconds. can someone tell me why the wait to start light doesnt want to stay on now?! its like the glowplugs turn on and shut off rt away now. i dont get it. what else is there to replace? thank you for reading!

TedG

Typically means you control box is bad. Did you disconnect batteries before changing? Also low batteries will kill box and plugs.

Deven534

i did disconnect the batteries before changing. battery voltage is good and have good cold cranking amp measurements. but i took a pcb box out of a m998 hmmwv that had the same pcb box and it still did the same thing. it was working on the m998 but not my m1097...could the engine temperature sensor be doing this? does the glowplugs run through that sensor to tell if the engine is cold or not?

TedG

There is a lot of information on SS for hmmwv control boxes, glow plug controllers and trouble shooting. If items are replaced are serviceable, then check the glow plug controller (gpc). Old Nartrons require their gpc and KDS yellow box requires its yellow band gpc. The EESS box does not really need one IIRC. Remember, something caused all of your glow plugs to fail. If all at once, then you have problems. If one failed at a time, over time, then you might be lucky that may be something simple. Clean all grounds.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am also having problems with my hmmwv,It has new batteries,new glow plugs,new gpc,a used pcb.My pcb is made by SSI,which gpc goes with this pcb.It only starts with either,Wait to start light comes on once in a while.My guess is pcb or grounding problem.

4x4Guy

SAme problem here, wit light would come on indicate warmup and shut off after 8-10 seconds now the plugs have been changed and the light won't stay on at all anymore, starts up fine...but the wait light is no longer on at all just light up and shuts off

4x4Guy

Well I took the GPs out they're fried now I have the WAIT light blinking for 10 secs or so, how do I know 100% if the unit is fried? I have a spare box

4x4Guy

I read 23.5V at the plug connectors and rating on the replacement plugs states 20.5V does anyone know if this is the reason they burned out? I just replaced them and already 2 days later they are gone...any input will be welcome as I do not wish to go too far without knowing the actual problem

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you buying your glow plugs? Who makes them?

i see post after post after post with this same issue, you guys really need to look up in the archives past issues because this one comes up every month....now, this starting system is not difficult, but you MUST and I repeat MUST start with known good parts. I for one use the Kascar non-swell glow plugs, while they are expensive, I have never had an issue after numerous trucks. The EESS box, I always use KDS yellow label with matching yellow banded Temp sender unit...this is not a glow plug controller as some folks call it, the TSU replaced the GPC as the GPC was a weak point and failed often.
the TSU just sends a signal based on engine temp that say either turn on the glow plugs for 6-8 seconds or don't, quite simple. NOW, if your EESS is a GREEN Label, NO TSU is Required, the glow plugs cycle every time at startup regardless of engine temp, I don't see many green label box but I have a few in my stock I use for trouble shooting.

today I am seeing alot of the new S3 EESS boxes on eBay, these are the latest generation of box, I now have all my trucks running this box and they work quite nicely, no more glow plug afterglow where the gen bounces up and down for 2 mins after cold start, you can tell this box by the extra maint port on the front for Diag.equipment to plug into. I have several of these new boxes, they are either Nartron or KDS, each come with there own TSU but I have found any of the KDS or Narton TSUs work, they are backward compatible, again, TSU, Not GPC glow plug controller.

there is the SSI box, I would never use one of these, never had any luck, also, make sure you don't have one of the early versions where the glow plug connector plugs direct into this box, so you would 3 plugs on this box, 2 for the body wiring harness and one for the separate glow plug harness...theses boxes are a no no, they had a habit of actully starting the truck on its own, several motor pools had hmmwv's burn to the ground.

So now you have a good box, good glow plugs, now go clean off every ground on the truck....dash, gen, all the lights, starter, engine, all the gauges etc...now make up a grounding harness, you can buy them from Kascar or make your own.
think of an octopus, where the head of the octopus is the start point, in this case the engine, on the left rear cylinder is the ground termination, starting from there, run a wire to each of theses locations:
1. Generator ground
2. One of the bolts that mounts the EESS box
3.to the stud on the firewall that feeds all the instrument gauges, you should have cleaned this ground so you know where it is. You have to take the inst cluster out to get to it.the stud passes through to the engine area near the fuel filter, one of the body harness grounds terminates there.
4. The starter ground

All 4 of these connections can be terminated into on large 2/0 solderless connector that has a 3/8 lug to bolt up to the engine head. Now everything you need to run is grounded.
I have had trucks that would do all of the issues you guys post about fixed with just this harness, I have eaten my fair share of boxes as well, bad boxes will eat glow plugs, but the Kascar plugs have a thermo limiter like the civ AC 60 G glop lug, you can't burn them up, Wellman is the Mfg I see that the goverment gets there hmmwv glows from, every DRMO engine I have ever received be it 6.2, 6.5 or Turbo diesel all have the Wellman 24v GP's installed.

hope this helps.

EdMontana

If you open the box, you will visible see what they mean by "fried". I had some issues that ended completely after I installed a Kaskar Ground kit. Get a new box, a temp sensor and the ground kit and all problems will be gone.
Also make sure that the battery terminals are tight and all your wiring is in one piece.

4x4Guy

I have a wire which was seems cut on purpose behind the gauges but no markings on it is it possible that is causing the new plugs to burn out? Anyone have a ongoing project they could post a picture of the backof the gauge cluster? I am not able to find the S3 EESS on ebay would you know of other sources? Thanks for the help, Sam

vinhvinny

The EESS box, I always use KDS yellow label with matching yellow banded Temp sender unit...this is not a glow plug controller as some folks call it, the TSU replaced the GPC as the GPC was a weak point and failed often.

Will a Natron TSU (yes TSU, not GPC) work with KDS yellow label?

I have many of these, but I don't know why they have a black marker over the NSN: 6110-01-463-9260

thank you

vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks