• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M1123 Serpentine Belt Question

Blizken

Hey Fellas,

Im out to replace the serpentine on my M1123-6.5L Non Turbo.

Should I be threading the belt over the fan to start? And if so-there is a hydraulic hose in the way and I am assuming I am disconnecting this to get over the fan...

Or am I going about this like a moron??

Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks all.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need to remove the hydraulic hose on a serpentine belt, the backside of the belt drives the water pump, it goes from the bottom of the crank pulley around the pump then on to the PS pump/alt then across and down to the ac comp, then to the tensioner and then to the crank pulley.
Passing through a few idlers along the way.
There are some differences between models but not too hard to figure out.
It does NOT need to be passed over the fan blade

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You start by making a loop big enough to go over the crank pulley, reach in between the tensioner and the water pump and loop it around the crank pulley, then pass the backside of the belt around he water pump and the rest is easy pleasy!

gentech

Hey Fellas,

Im out to replace the serpentine on my M1123-6.5L Non Turbo.

Should I be threading the belt over the fan to start? And if so-there is a hydraulic hose in the way and I am assuming I am disconnecting this to get over the fan...

Or am I going about this like a moron??

Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks all.
The older model need the belt to go over the fan. Disconnect the hydraulic line, feed the belt then reconnect it. you wont lose any oil from there.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older model need the belt to go over the fan. Disconnect the hydraulic line, feed the belt then reconnect it. you wont lose any oil from there.
Only A0/A1 series trucks should have V-belts that require the hydraulic line be disconnected..
M1123 is A2 series, so all of them should have serpentine.

Blizken

I kind of figured this out in reverse.

My 1123 calls for-- HM-955 | Serpentine Belt 114" inch Flat Belt A2 Series HMMWV.

It is too short. Looked at the old belt and it is an RD-5-11792-0 which seems to be about 125".

USMC added AC to the truck when they did their refit and that is probably where the belt discrepancy came from.

Anyway. End of the mystery. Thanks guys.

Thumper580

I kind of figured this out in reverse.

My 1123 calls for-- HM-955 | Serpentine Belt 114" inch Flat Belt A2 Series HMMWV.

It is too short. Looked at the old belt and it is an RD-5-11792-0 which seems to be about 125".

USMC added AC to the truck when they did their refit and that is probably where the belt discrepancy came from.

Anyway. End of the mystery. Thanks guys.
So without AC it's the HM-955?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks