• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV M998 Battery Cutoff Switch wire route / location

NE Iowa

Remote Battery Disconnect

Hello,

COuld you tell me if this device is still working well? Would you have a brand and a model # by anychance.

Thanks in advance.

FB

I installed a remote controlled cut off on the positive side. It's in the battery compartment, in the void under the seat. I just ran the battery cable to the cutoff, then used a 18" premade battery cable I bought at the parts store to finish up.

It's controlled by a key fob, or has a manual switch if the fob dies.

chickenbutt

Hello,

COuld you tell me if this device is still working well? Would you have a brand and a model # by anychance.

Thanks in advance.

FB
I installed the remote switch with the fob. It's called "Battery Brain Gold Battery Brains". They make a 24V version.
You can find it here $104 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sms-433126
It is a little cheesey, but I've had it a few months now and it works good. It saves the batteries and keeps someone from hopping in the commander seat and driving away.
Of course if they know hmmwv's and want to steal it, they could probably bypass it in 5 mins or so.
There is another thread here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...attery-when-all-is-turned-off-How-to-trace-it
that discusses battery disconnect switches, this one included.

Jakob1944

I was thinking of breaking the connection between the batteries......right now I have disconnected the neg post clamp between the batteries while I work on the truck.....any thoughts

chickenbutt

I didn't. In the other thread I think it's covered. I didn't have an accessory hot/engine running lead. I'm solely using it as a remote control cut off
I didn't connect the "engine running" lead either. It's on my list of things to figure out.
I am concerned that if you accidentally open the battery switch while the engine is running, the voltage could spike. I would think it could possibly fry the EESS or other things. I'm not sure of this, I just don't want to find out the hard way.

chickenbutt

I was thinking of breaking the connection between the batteries......right now I have disconnected the neg post clamp between the batteries while I work on the truck.....any thoughts
It will work, but it is not good practice, especially if you have any accessory wires that go direct to your batteries.
The best place to put the disconnect is on the negative. Supposedly there is less of an arc while connecting under load.
With the wireless remote type you have to put it on the positive so it can get power for it's internal receiver.

CGregson

Anyone want to do me a solid and post of pic of their setup? I can see at least 3-4 options, but I'm not sure of the right way to go here. I got the battery brain gold with remote and don't plan on using the engine running lead either. Thanks in advance!!! I'm also not sure if I can use all the existing wiring or need to get another lead to get the unit to a place where it has room. I don't really want to mess with the slave setup.

CGregson

Bumping post, can anyone help me out please?
Anyone want to do me a solid and post of pic of their setup? I can see at least 3-4 options, but I'm not sure of the right way to go here. I got the battery brain gold with remote and don't plan on using the engine running lead either. Thanks in advance!!! I'm also not sure if I can use all the existing wiring or need to get another lead to get the unit to a place where it has room. I don't really want to mess with the slave setup.

kapkanimd

20161120_123537.jpg

For the remote switch, I wired it to the fuel gauge I believe. It has been a while, but I have had no issues and everything works great.

Not sure why my battery likes to leak though :eek:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks