• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Maaco Paint?

cucvegas

I bought 2 gallons of 383 green CGI paint from Rapco to paint the humvee myself, but I changed my mind about painting it myself.

Maaco said they could do it for $450. He said he’d have to ask a manager about using my paint, but ensured me they use Sherwin Williams and can match the color.

Would you trust the Sherwin paint they use, and if so do you know the paint code?

Should I just insist they use the GCI?

Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings said real CARC paint was almost $200 per gallon plus shipping.

mdainsd

The problem with Maaco (and Earl Schieb before them) wasn't really the painting, it was the prep, or the lack of it. Ive gotten great paintjobs out of them by doing all the prep myself, which includes stripping off all you can that you don't want painted, sanding, filling and more sanding as required, and equally important is the masking. The sanding, filling and masking are labor intensive so this is were corners are cut.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a company who paints trucks in town spray my Deuce, I did 95% of the prep work, essentially everything but the final taping. They did a beautiful job and I saved at least 1500.00 doing the majority of the work myself!
KK

cucvegas

So the quote from Maaco was $450 on the phone. When I got there he said he had to add $150 for extra sanding. Next thing you know, he disappears and has his associate read me the quote of $1100 before tax. I’ll be looking elsewhere.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the quote from Maaco was $450 on the phone. When I got there he said he had to add $150 for extra sanding. Next thing you know, he disappears and has his associate read me the quote of $1100 before tax. I’ll be looking elsewhere.
I paid about $2500 to have a 5ton entirely sandblasted to bare steel and repainted with real CARC.

At the other end of the spectrum, a buddy and I changed his deuce from green to tan in an afternoon for under $200.

I'm a big fan of the house paint approach.

Attachments

Last edited:

Awol

Maaco will do a good job if you prep the vehicle yourself. I've seen some Maaco jobs done on some high dollar classic cars, and you would've never guessed it was done by them.

I say go for it if the price is right!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I've been watching Samcro on YouTube, Remember that MAACO is a franchise, and just like Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, quality can differ.

Personally, I love the Behr paint job on my truck. I need to go back over it, between touching up, doing a better prep, and repainting. But, It'll be worth it to invest in the equipment (really just a sprayer as I have an Air Compressor) to do it with the Behr at home.

tomelroy

It really doesn't matter what business you go with, it's the guy doing the painting. I would not trust anyone, unless i have seen examples of work quality. CGI paint is very easy to paint with. I would paint it with a roll brush before i got ripped of by MAACO. And i did! (paint my first HMMWV with a roll brush)

CGI and a roll brush
IMG_2033.jpg

and this one with CGI and a spray gun

IMG_3292.jpg

Both turned out looking good, but i would say reconsider hiring it out and do it yourself. Nothing's worse than paying for a bad paint job....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks