• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Markings?

Person1

Hey all,

I've been reading about markings on HMMWVs and found an odd one this probably from the 3rd Low Altitude Air Defense Battalion.
1692387751495.png1692387943998.png
Does anyone know what the rules and regs regarding painting unit emblems on the backs of HMMWVs are?
I'd really like to see pictures of other unit emblems like this painted on HMMWVs but haven't been able to find any.

Guyfang

Staff member
Officially, in the Army anyway, they are not to be put on anything. Trucks, planes, tanks, nothing. I can not believe its different in any other service. Unofficially, a unit commander at any level can authorize it. Just like any commander at a higher level can countermand that authorization. Most unit commanders look the other way, as long as its not gaudy, or, "Over the top". What ever that means.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were some USMC trucks that showed up at auction some time ago with a similar marking.
See post # 5,188.

Person1

There were some USMC trucks that showed up at auction some time ago with a similar marking.
See post # 5,188.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's the same mark. Good memory!