• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV movie sightings.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long overdue topic.

Fun to see our HMMWV’s in movies, especially when unexpected.

Was just watching Free City and I think a purple and black zebra stripe pick-up unit would be terrific.

Also got a kick out of all the HMMWV ‘s in American Ultra.

And of course we all know you can’t cut open HMMWV tires with a pocket knife as easily in Prime’s Jack Reacher.IMG_3655.jpeg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH’s avatar is from one of the first movies featuring HMMWV. I forget what it’s called.

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1996 (The Rock) with Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage, and Ed Harris

#2 1998 ( The Patriot) with Steven Segal

Those films as a child set my classic nostalgia for the HMMWV.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And of course we all know you can’t cut open HMMWV tires with a pocket knife as easily in Prime’s Jack Reacher.
I laughed out loud on that one. I enjoyed the show, but come on. Would have been better if they spent an hour unbolting the tire, separating the rim, and then removing the run flat, and THEN.... (no spoilers).

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen the movie yet, but if MT/R was on , you don't need a knife to rip it open! :)

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the last Terminator was filmed here, they threw a humvee into a pool.
Jack Ryan features my doors. And in some FBI International my humvee.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suicide Squad had HMMWV’s ripped apart and splattered. Hated the movie but liked the weird way the trucks were deformed.

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HALO series was also filmed here. The big offroad vehicles were all Humvees, they just changed their wheels and got a futuristic body.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots used here on ncis New Orleans.
I was told a cool $500 a day on rentals.
I was tempted to check out but missed the boat...
A film production company has asked me about renting several of mine for a film to be produced locally, with the filming to take just a few days. I'm not sure what would be a fair rental rate. The $500 a day sounds pretty good. Does anybody have any other data points for HMMWV rental rates for filmmaking? These units are nothing exotic, no turrets or weapons or anything, just stock-appearing auction trucks: M1038, M1045A2 and M1152.

AAVP7

I´ve rented out (other) vehicles and props to TV and movie productions numerous times. My main advice: Never, ever, rent it out without you being present all the time. Or better, bring a buddy with you so you can go to the bathroom while the other is watching the vehicle.
Otherwise, the prop department will do with your Humvee as they see fit: Drill a few holes for a camera rig, repaint the vehicle, etc.. Or the director will decide to spice up the action sequence with more crashes at your expense.
And forget about any insurance they promise. Even if you get that in written, afterwards you´ll be fighting with an unwilling insurance company working for a not longer existent production company. So: Better be close to your vehicle all the time.

Since the daily rate then needs to replace your daily income, plus that of your buddy, and cover any wear and tear on your Humvee, $ 500 doesn´t look much. Obviously, rental rates will be different depending on location, but overhere, daily rates for a Humvee would have been considerably higher than $500. Plus, vehicle transport, travel, hotel and food would be extra.

Admittedly, daily rates seem to drop overhere, however, since more and more inexperienced Humvee owners offer their vehicles on "movie car agency" sites at far too low prices. Some production companies prefer to work with the pros they know, and pay more; other companies just go for the cheapest offer, and just wear out another newbie.

Personally, I´m not going to go cheap. TV or movie work is not as much fun as you would think, and time in my real job is precious. I´ve been burned by one or two production companies over the years, so am very careful now.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve heard disaster stories. I wouldn’t do it for less that $2000/day plus $10,000 damage retainer in escrow and they pay insurance on policy YOU purchase.

You need dozens of pictures prior to letting them have vehicle as proof of condition.

Also you need to put tranny in LIMP mode.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks