• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV odd smoking problem.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No idea what you mean...what is that part number embossed on the injector? Take a pic and post it.
also, what model pump do you have? It's on the left side of the pump on a data plate...not the NSN, but the standadyne part number...you can see it with a flashlight.

dilvoy

I would say that all the injectors should look exactly the same and have the same part numbers in a perfect world, but there could have been a few that were replaced over the years I guess. The injector lines have a flare fitting so they tighten up really quickly and are over tightened by many people who don't understand that the flare makes the seal with the pressure provided by the nut and the nut doesn't need to be tightened like a plumbing pipe. Anyhow. many times you will loosen the body of the injector or the entire injector from the head before the fuel line lets loose, so it is a good idea to put a open end wrench on the part of the injector body that the line is attached too. As you have found, space is tight so making a special tool out of a wrench by cutting it with a torch and maybe bending it a bit with the same torch may help as well. Injectors are not that expensive so if the diesel place charges to test the ones that you have, make sure that it is worth it. They do wear and rebuilt or new ones might be the last ones you install in the vehicle.

vitamink

No idea what you mean...what is that part number embossed on the injector? Take a pic and post it.
also, what model pump do you have? It's on the left side of the pump on a data plate...not the NSN, but the standadyne part number...you can see it with a flashlight.
unfortunately i'll be away from the HMMWV for the next 6 days otherwise i'd tell you. I will say this though, all 8 injectors were tested here locally. 4 of them passed…3 of them failed and the last one blew up under pressure. Now i'm confident that we have located the problem i need to source some new ones and a new fuel line for the farthest inboard passenger side injector. Where do you guys buy yours?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The place you got them tested should,sell them...no?
plentyon eBay...there is a company in Oakland calif I use called diamond diesel....I got a set for there for a customer.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, eBay is your best bet, for injectors and the lines, we need to know which pump you have and what injector you have so you know what line you need. You want to make sure you don't get turbo stuff....lots of it out there.

vitamink

Unfortunately no, they don't sell them. They were tested as training for other diesel mechanics in a classroom setting. I did look on eBay and used the numbers from Hmmwv knowledge base http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/fuel/injnos.html . I only found TD injectors or 6.2 injectors. If you check napa or the others, you're forced to use the "car lookup" feature which doesn't list am general Humvee hummer or Hmmwv as an option. I'll check on the pump as soon as I can and let you know. I put a wtb add up and I'll keep searching for injectors.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any injector for H1hummer for years 94-95 will work...but don't bother with napa...you will pay out the nose.
you won't find a hmmwv listed in a parts database. But you will for hummer...am general.
you just need to know what you have to ask for the particular year.
92-93 6.2, 94-95 6.5NA, 96-2004 for 6.5 TD....

now, there are many makers for injector, Dephi, GM, Bosch...they all have different part numbers...I'm not in my TM right now, but that is where you want to look for the part number.

Here is a web site you can use for pump numbers and injectors...your GM part number will be a 6703802.

http://www.chathamfuel.com/generic.asp?pg=appl_gm&ti=Applications - GM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1994-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acc0103c7&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Stanadyne, and Delphi 6.5NA injectors available...new.
$ 150 a set of eight shipped.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have what I believe are take off lines.....got them from a load of GEP eng. stuff....only bought the lines.
Steve...I only have an ECV radiator.

vitamink

I'll take em! Plus the roof mount for the vic 3 crew station, pm me a price! If you have the fuel line that'd be great too. Can you post part numbers for your injectors? I may owe 2 people a cake now

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Delphi 6703802 cbt
Stanadyne 37815 , 230708 , 972
These are whats on the upper section of them.

vitamink

Any injector for H1hummer for years 94-95 will work...but don't bother with napa...you will pay out the nose.
you won't find a hmmwv listed in a parts database. But you will for hummer...am general.
you just need to know what you have to ask for the particular year.
92-93 6.2, 94-95 6.5NA, 96-2004 for 6.5 TD....

now, there are many makers for injector, Dephi, GM, Bosch...they all have different part numbers...I'm not in my TM right now, but that is where you want to look for the part number.

Here is a web site you can use for pump numbers and injectors...your GM part number will be a 6703802.

http://www.chathamfuel.com/generic.asp?pg=appl_gm&ti=Applications - GM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1994-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acc0103c7&vxp=mtr

Gotta pick your brain some more… In the event that i have to remove the intake manifold to get everything back on, will this work?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa.../_/N-j0jzdZ93xym?itemIdentifier=72891_0_5297_

I used the "94 hummer h1" in the search.

vitamink

Ok, parts replace and she fired right up. Unfortunately the issue is still there. I didn't let it idle for too long before i drove it, but it still seemed smokey while it idled. I drove it out of the neighborhood and it looked very "spy hunter-ish" like a smoke screen. Once i drove about 1/8 of a mile the smoke cleared up and all was well. The engine idles way better, but would still stutter from time to time like it did before. Essentially it seemed to be doing the same thing, only slightly better. I only got to drive it once so i didn't get to see if it would smoke after letting it sit for a while and restarting. At this point i know (i think i know) its not the injectors as they're all new with new lines. I know it's not burning coolant as the coolant level has stayed the same. I've added about a quart of oil maybe 2x since i've had it as it was low. What else is there for me to check. I can't test it tomorrow, but i will be able to the day after and will try to upload a youtube video or 2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks