• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Open Market Purchase Price - Not Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think the real market value is for an HMMWV today?

Without the ability to make them road-legal, you have limited the market to just people wanting hunting vehicles, maybe agricultural uses, and recreation uses like a dune buggy perhaps.

The Dallas/Fort Worth Craigslist has three currently, one for $16,000, one for $25,850, and one for $48,000 for sale.

All appear to be SF97 models and not road legal. All the listings are relatively recent but still not sold.

Are the auction prices basically where the market is??? $10k to $14k-ish??

Just interested in your opinions...

Hope you're having a good day! Thanks!!

tage

Have to factor in tax and buyer premium on the gp stuff. Unless you have a farm use tax then no taxes.

The reason they're not sold is because they're over priced imho. You can't take a 5k hmmwv then turn around and sell it for 13k without doing any major work to it. Then half the time the flippers just paint the truck, nashorn the interior, add a snorkel, and put a new top on it, and try to sell them for 30k.

You really have to do your due diligence on the hmmwvs now. The late 90's auction hmmwv's aren't the only ones with titles now.

Last edited:

OktobrVega

Theres plenty of "new guys" and flippers with the HMMWV. You can tell just by their adds. Ones an obvious money grab and the other you can tell, when they got it home and saw the actual state of their new shiny 10K+ HMMWV The cool factor quickly dissapeared. And mamma didnt care too much for the "good investment".

The HMMWV was not popular among the troops and ask any maint. unit whats the worst vehicle in the motorpool....yeah. My unit alone, guys would clog fuel lines to keep from using them in FTX and often prefered the 2.5's instead. but, yeah 8-10K is usual, but as they say theres an "A$$" for every seat.

Last edited:
Man that's amazing. When you look at what 4 wheelers and larger ATVs cost, like 4 seat Kawasaki Mules, you'd think that there would be thousands of deer hunters that instead of showing up at the deer lease with a $18,000 Kubota side by side, would spend the same or better on showing up with a HMMWV, regardless of it's road legality or not, just out of principle.

The other thing I am surprised about is how rare these are on CL. Looks like they show up on Ebay frequently, nationally, but CL is sparse.

tage

Man that's amazing. When you look at what 4 wheelers and larger ATVs cost, like 4 seat Kawasaki Mules, you'd think that there would be thousands of deer hunters that instead of showing up at the deer lease with a $18,000 Kubota side by side, would spend the same or better on showing up with a HMMWV, regardless of it's road legality or not, just out of principle.
Can't discount those Kubota's. They are road legal where I live, and more times then naut you'll see the neighbors taking those into town. A hmmwv is demanding. If you know how to wrench, and have the desire they are just about as good as any 4x4 you can buy.

gcbennet

IMO a good portion of the vehicles being bought at auction are with the intent of flipping for a profit. Whether it be to a buyer who just wants the privilege of owning a humvee in any capacity, or with the idea that they may, at some point be able to get it road legal. Personally, unless it's already been titled for normal road use i wouldn't go near it unless it was solely for parts. Without a title i don't think they're worh any more than what someone is willing to pay for a big toy. They can't export either, so the buyer market is very limited as it is. A titled humvee normally goes for $20+, double that here in Canada. Slants are typically in the $40-50+ range no matter where you are.

Gunzy

A hunter will need a $50k+ rig and trailer to get it to his hunting place, so a side by side is the more reasonable choice for hunting AND will go places you would never attempt to get a HMMWV into.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys amaze me.

Thread closed because of the veiled discussion of making the newly released HMMWVs road legal. And yes there is a forum rule (along with the stickies) regarding it.

You guys think I am a hardazz about this but until the DLA changes their stance on "off- road use only" there will be no discussion of it on this forum.

And yes I do know that some of the newly released HMMWVs are being titled for "on road use". That does not make it okay to talk about them here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks