• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Overland / cross country driving - Service?

BadRobot

Though I think you will thank yourself in the end for taking the Raptor on the long trip (for comfort sake), I don't think driving a HMMWV is unfeasible. I would consider it the same as having any old truck (speaking specifically from my 20 year old DD), stuff will break and parts are going to fail because of their age. But if I drive it often enough, work on it often enough (more than enough), and become familiar with the truck through interaction, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it from coast to coast tomorrow.

If you service your truck, are familiar how to trouble shoot in the TM, and carry some basic tools (other than unforeseen catastrophic failure) then doing HMMWV road trips should be fun. I also believe that some of the problems that all Green Machines have is how long they sit and don't get driven. Putting on some road miles a couple days a week should be the first step. Now, I just need to find enough days in a week to drive everything...
I have been thinking a lot. I am leaning toward the Raptor at this point. It is under warranty if it ever needs any repairs. It is more comfortable and it even go faster. It will pull M1102 which setup as overland trailer. I have a couple wheel bearing as spare parts and 2 spare tires. I think it is enough for M1102. It will carry tools and recovery gears.

Thank you for your inputs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks