• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV padding

fnpurist

Is the only padding for a hmmwv the piece that goes by the seatbelt or is there some that attaches to the A pillar as well? I keep seeing A pillar padding for sell but I'm wonder if that goes inside the A beam and acts as insulation instead of padding for your head

NormB

HMMWV right reat padding.jpg
(picture of RIGHT tunnel insulation)

About those "A"-pillar insulation blocks.

Same/similar question(s).

Part #12446850 Insulation, thermal, #45 on figure 227 of P-1 Technical Manual AND

Part #12446849 Insulation, thermal, #55 on same figure.

I'm doing my best to try and put in whatever padding/parts/insulation I can find (STILL not finding a RH REAR floor mat or the tunnel padding analogous to the L rear tunnel padding (there are holes in the tunnel for retainers, parts manual is dated 2001 (have P-1 AND P-2, no addenda available).

Meanwhile, I bought a pair of the "A"-Pillar pads (UOC H13) thinking these would just fit into place with some fabricated retainers. I'm looking at them thinking, WTH?

Seems like something's missing from the TOP of the pillar between the soft top and pillar too, there's a LOT of space between the two, thinking a big piece of plumbing insulating foam would be just the thing.

Can anyone tell me exactly where/how those pads mount up?

Yeah, yeah, I know, should've figured it out before hand, but, well, count it up to "noob syndrome" or irrational exuberance of finding "rare" parts.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Last edited:

Action

12446850 and 12446849 mount in the engine compartment below the windshields. the go in vertically, basically near the driver's right knee and the passenger's left knee. the recessed areas with two holes are where a flat metal bracket went to bolt it to the body. there are other black rubber pieces around the firewall area.
The m998 did not come with the right rear tunnel pad. That is not a common item.
a seal does fit between the soft top and the windsgield, but not above the b-pillar.
a-pillar is where the front door hinges are.
b-pillar is where the rear door hinges are.
c-pillar is the front of the rear fenders.

NormB

12446850 and 12446849 mount in the engine compartment below the windshields. the go in vertically, basically near the driver's right knee and the passenger's left knee. the recessed areas with two holes are where a flat metal bracket went to bolt it to the body. there are other black rubber pieces around the firewall area.
The m998 did not come with the right rear tunnel pad. That is not a common item.
a seal does fit between the soft top and the windsgield, but not above the b-pillar.
a-pillar is where the front door hinges are.
b-pillar is where the rear door hinges are.
c-pillar is the front of the rear fenders.

Thanks for the refresher; I got the pillar positions down pat, just all these little insulating parts.

Another one I ordered was a large piece for the inside of tunnel with a metal framework. Not only can I not find it, I can't figure out where it SHOULD mount.

I'm shipping all those parts back. Cheap lesson, seller already said they were returnable.

Seriously, though, thanks.

NB

Action

I haven't seen any HMMWV insulation with a metal framework in it. The silver insulation under the tunnel has no framework in it. there are several pieces to that. just one piece would be pointless.

Last edited:

NormB

I haven't seen any HMMWV insulation with a metal framework in it. The silver insulation under the tunnel has no framework in it. there are several pieces to that. just one piece would be pointless.

parts #47 and 51 Figure 227
TM 9-2320-280-24P-1

Action

ah, those just hold the black rubber mats to the side of the footwells in the engine compartment. i think the notch where "54" is in that diagram fits around the right front body mount. in that diagram, the front of the hmmwv would be to the right.
pad #51 is the driver side and has holes for steering shaft brake linkade, etc.
pad #40 lays flat around the washer fluid bottle
pad #41 fits vertical between the washer bottle and windshield frame
pad #52 actually lays flat and slides into channels on cover below the center of w/s frame. take doghouse off and this will run the entire width of the opening. the defrost ducts are accessed by removing this panel

rcamacho

Great old thread. I'm investigating retrofitting this insulation into an M998 and was also a tad befuddled about where the various pieces fit onto the vehicle.

TM 9-2320-280-20-3 Section 10 has good illustrations and procedures for insulation installation/replacement.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks