• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Rebuild process

hmw23

I am interested in the HMMWVs on government planet. I have noticed that many of them have a "rebuild date" on the placard by the driver's door. What goes into a rebuild? I am curious how extensive these rebuilds are and what they involve. I have tried searching the forum for an answer and have been unable to get a clear answer.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There really isn't an exact answer to this.

My understanding is the rebuild facility has a set amount of money they are allowed to use to "rebuild" each truck. This usually means they'll put in a rebuilt engine/transmission, and replace all of the common wear items. Anything else that is damaged/worn would likely be replaced as well.

plus, any MWOs that need to be installed would be done as well.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An MWO is a Military Work Order. It usually entails things that the military decides to change on a truck. A real example is with the M44 series of trucks. When they were first designed, they did not have seat belts. Some years later (decades after they first entered service), the military decided to add seat belts, so an MWO was issued and the trucks had seat belts installed. The MWO tags usually have a date on which the work was completed and a number that indicates the work that was done.

hmw23

Understood, that is a huge help. So I guess the question is what does a typical HMMWV military work order for rebuild look like. From the earlier post it sounds pretty extensive. Replacing the engine and transmission is not simply shooting it with new paint

Action

Understood, that is a huge help. So I guess the question is what does a typical HMMWV military work order for rebuild look like. From the earlier post it sounds pretty extensive. Replacing the engine and transmission is not simply shooting it with new paint
It is
Modification
Work
Order
There wasn’t an mwo for engine / trans. They were small things like 3-point seatbelts, e-brake upgrade, etc.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
MWO's could also be safety related updates.

My guess in answer to your question hmw23 about replacing wiring would be about zero. If a truck wiring harness was so bad off as to need a replacement, I would imagine that the truck would be cabalized and DRMO would handle it from there.

No would be the short answer.

nattieleather

Gov. Rebuild projects generally put the vehicle back to current as issued condition. Which means if the engine doesn't pass certain tests it gets replaced, Same for the transmission etc. Generally at a minimum you get new tires, brakes, fluid changes, electrical checked and as stated MWOs installed if the truck doesn't have it. So if the truck for example had the 6.2 and the TR400 combo that automatically wouldn't pass the test for as issued because that's not the latest or what the last issue was. So the truck would get the 6.5 turbo etc. If the rebuild date is not that old on the truck, I would be confident in purchasing it. But that's just me.....I just never have the money to buy all the toys I want. HAHA.

Action

Gov. Rebuild projects generally put the vehicle back to current as issued condition. Which means if the engine doesn't pass certain tests it gets replaced, Same for the transmission etc. Generally at a minimum you get new tires, brakes, fluid changes, electrical checked and as stated MWOs installed if the truck doesn't have it. So if the truck for example had the 6.2 and the TR400 combo that automatically wouldn't pass the test for as issued because that's not the latest or what the last issue was. So the truck would get the 6.5 turbo etc. If the rebuild date is not that old on the truck, I would be confident in purchasing it. But that's just me.....I just never have the money to buy all the toys I want. HAHA.
did you just say that a 6.2 going into reset would come out with a 6.5 turbo?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The resets are based on IROAN standards, as identified on the data plate..
IROAN = inspect repair on as needed basis

engines are not upgraded from NA to turbo…engines are replaced per the UOC.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really, just that the vehicle would be brought to current standards. In most cases a 6.2 hmmwv would get demilled because of age. But a 6.5 na might get pushed up to 6.5 turbo.
No sir..when a truck went into “reset”, it was all dependent on the standards already set in the contract, known as IROAN, No trucks were upgraded to a turbo from an NA.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
trucks only get the replacement part for the series they belong to. An A2 series truck won't get ECV or REV parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks