• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV REV truck brake bleeding

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

So while rebuilding all of the calipers, I noticed that they contained a mixture of dot3 (green) and dot 5 (purple). I emptied the master cylinder to get rid of the junk fluid and applied a vacuum on the lines to get the remainder out. Now I have topped of the master cylinder with milspec dot5 and attempted to apply a vacuum to the back passenger side brake caliper. I am only getting inconsistent clean dot 5 spray out after a ton of suction.

I have reviewed the 24-1 and it only describes a bench bleeding procedure for the MC. So what do I do now? Pull it out or is there a shotcut? Or should I buy a kit to pressurized the MC? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you truck has anti-lock brakes (which most do not), it SHOULD be standard two-person bleed. Start with rear pass (right)... Someone in the cab pressing the bake, someone in the back opening the bleeder, letting the air/fluid out, close it.. repeat until the far right has no more bubbles.. go to the rear left, repeat.. then front right, then front left.

I didn't completely service the lines on my 1988 when I got it, but I was able to clean out the fluid in the calipers and did go through a lot of silicone so I should have mostly clean fluid by doing it this way.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious, if you let what comes out sit does it phase out so you can reuse it?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you truck has anti-lock brakes (which most do not), it SHOULD be standard two-person bleed. Start with rear pass (right)... Someone in the cab pressing the bake, someone in the back opening the bleeder, letting the air/fluid out, close it.. repeat until the far right has no more bubbles.. go to the rear left, repeat.. then front right, then front left.

I didn't completely service the lines on my 1988 when I got it, but I was able to clean out the fluid in the calipers and did go through a lot of silicone so I should have mostly clean fluid by doing it this way.
I HAVE the military antilock brakes. Is there a different procedure to bleed them?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I HAVE the military antilock brakes. Is there a different procedure to bleed them?
I have no idea on the military antilock brakes.

On the civilian vehicles I've worked on it's one of the following:

1) you bleed them the same way as normal

2) you need a fancy computer to tell the anti-lock brake system to go into bleed mode, THEN bleed as normal

3) (the neat one) you have a fancy computer and tells the ABS to bleed, the computer tells you which brake bleeder to open and it does all the work for you, you just open and close the bleeder as it tells you, one brake at a time.

Good luck.. as long as you are not disassembling everything, I'd hope that #1 will work for you...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks