• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV roadworthiness?

NormB

Looking into a potential deal on a 1993 Humvee, new run flat tires, 6.5L engine (3 speed), road titled/tagged, only question is, do I fly out to pick it up and drive home (750 miles roughly), earplugs/headset OR, sight unseen, pay for it and have it shipped out (about a grand, I've checked).

I haven't driven one in 20 years, this will either solidly endear me to the good old humvee or turn me off to the thing entirely cursing my stupidity every mile of the way home (I-70 to I-81 to I-66) couple of stops on the way for some ice packs and vitamin M.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

WalterMitty

If you trust the seller and what you are buying, my vote is have it shipped.Plane ticket, plus 15+ hours of driving in a HMMWV, with the added risk of a break down? No thanks. What happens to you on mile 400 if you break down? You call for a tow to the next town...can they work on HMMWVs? If so, will they have any of the required parts in stock? Then what do you do? Hang out in said town for the duration of the repair? Way too much downside with driving it back. Also, if you ship it, you're "saving" all those miles for you to enjoy at your leisure. I love driving my M998, but no way would I take it on a long trip.

MaverickH1

I'm in a similar boat. I'm borrowing a truck and renting a trailer and going to pick it up. I'll save the adventures for after I own it and know it a little better. :)

NormB

I own a truck, and a small trailer, where do I rent a trailer large enough to haul something like this home? I've got a 2015 Tacoma w/HD towbar (6.5k max towing load) - Uhaul online doesn't recommend their trailer. If I call around and FIND a large enough trailer, will towing a HMMWV void whatever warranty they may have?

I'd really like to see it first hand before taking possession of it. I could get away for a couple of days to do this, just how/what process do I go through to actually rent a trailer?

Last edited:

MaverickH1

I own a truck, and a small trailer, where do I rent a trailer large enough to haul something like this home? I've got a 2015 Tacoma w/HD towbar (6.5k max towing load) - Uhaul online doesn't recommend their trailer. If I call around and FIND a large enough trailer, will towing a HMMWV void whatever warranty they may have?

I'd really like to see it first hand before taking possession of it. I could get away for a couple of days to do this, just how/what process do I go through to actually rent a trailer?
Which HMMWV do you have? You'll be awfully tight with that max towing load. My HMMWV will be 5,950 lbs curb weight. And you're not going to find a trailer that is 500 lbs to tow it.

I'll be renting a trailer from an equipment rental company like Sunbelt, United Rentals, etc. I will be aiming for one with the deck over the wheels. Usually the equipment rental places will rent something to you on Friday and then let you have it over the weekend and still only charge you for a one day rental. That makes a trailer rental in the $90 range. And sometimes they even come with the chains necessary to tie equipment down.

dk8019

I think you are a bit close towing it yourself. I towed my 998 soft top with a 12k rated trailer, and it did just fine, as one would expect. I would imagine the tongue weight to get a stable setup behind your truck might be difficult to achieve. Do you have a brake controller? It sounds like you are in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to borrow my trailer if you like any time.

dodge towing hmmwv.jpg

NormB

Which HMMWV do you have? You'll be awfully tight with that max towing load. My HMMWV will be 5,950 lbs curb weight. And you're not going to find a trailer that is 500 lbs to tow it.

Humvee's just a standard 1993 M998 4 place w/ troop seats, soft top, 37x12.50R16.5 Tires, so I'm ASSUMING it's just at/around 5200lbs-plus. Don't have it yet. Looking into how to get it here if I DO buy it.

I'll be renting a trailer from an equipment rental company like Sunbelt, United Rentals, etc. I will be aiming for one with the deck over the wheels. Usually the equipment rental places will rent something to you on Friday and then let you have it over the weekend and still only charge you for a one day rental. That makes a trailer rental in the $90 range. And sometimes they even come with the chains necessary to tie equipment down.
That sounds promising. United Rentals seems to have several options available and drop off sites not far from my home. Their 14-16" twin axle trailer sounds about right: https://catalog.unitedrentals.com/en/equipment/trucks-trailers/trailers, I'll place some calls in the morning,

NormB

I think you are a bit close towing it yourself. I towed my 998 soft top with a 12k rated trailer, and it did just fine, as one would expect. I would imagine the tongue weight to get a stable setup behind your truck might be difficult to achieve. Do you have a brake controller? It sounds like you are in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to borrow my trailer if you like any time.

View attachment 649821
Wow. What an offer. A brake controller? No, up until now I hadn't thought I'd need one. I have time to install one (amazon carries them). I really appreciate the offer. Makes me feel bad all over that I don't live south of the Potomac yet (visit often, friend down in Louisa). The 60 miles or so home from YOUR place beats the heck out of the 700+ miles I'm looking at. Thanks again.

MaverickH1

That sounds promising. United Rentals seems to have several options available and drop off sites not far from my home. Their 14-16" twin axle trailer sounds about right: https://catalog.unitedrentals.com/en/equipment/trucks-trailers/trailers, I'll place some calls in the morning,
You just have to make sure that the raised fender wells are wide enough to allow your Humvee to roll through. Here are the dimensions I'd go by: http://olive-drab.com/images/hmmwv_dims.jpg

I don't really trust the rental guys to go out and measure with a tape measure to be honest... I've been burned by that in the past. If you need 86" and they say you have 87"... that's cutting it awfully close. If they say you have 90" I'd feel a little better with that error. Either way, make sure you measure it before you leave the rental yard. If you forget this step and show up to get the HMMWV and it's too wide for the fenders of the trailer... then your only option might be to build a wooden ramp that goes up and over the fenders. I've seen a member here do it. [thumbzup]

The trailers that have a flat deck ABOVE the tires are the easiest and best bet, but they are usually heavier trailers. I plan on making a trip to my local Sunbelt rentals place in order to check what they've got. I'm probably 2-4 weeks away from my EUC clearing and me going down to pick it up. Will be towing it with a 2006 3/4 ton Dodge diesel truck.

dk8019

Just let me know, PM or something and we can connect. You'll need a break controller and one of the 7 pin plugs on your truck to run the brakes etc.

Excellent point on the width. I actually drove over the fenders on mine, and used cribbing in the center of the deck to get it up and over. I also installed 5" landing plates for the locations of the wheels to ensure I had good contact all around. You're actually really close to my work, you could pick it up and return it here in Columbia, MD if that works better.

desmodromic

Not trying to be that guy, but you'll likely be 30% over your towing capacity and 750 miles will really beat you and your Tacoma up, especially without any sort of weight distribution setup. I am not one of those "you need a 1 ton with a 90% safety margin to tow 1,500 lbs" types, but pulling a HMMWV 600+ miles on a uhaul trailer was not the most pleasant in my half ton Tundra, even though I regularly tow a heavier 28' travel trailer with a WDH very comfortably. As stated above, the issue is tongue weight.

As far as brake controllers, I am a big fan of the Tekonsha P3.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to pull the 5200 lb HMMWV on the 2200 lb uhaul trailer with your 4000 lb Japanese truck, let us all know when so we can stay off your route that day.

sully199

Looking into a potential deal on a 1993 Humvee, new run flat tires, 6.5L engine (3 speed), road titled/tagged, only question is, do I fly out to pick it up and drive home (750 miles roughly), earplugs/headset OR, sight unseen, pay for it and have it shipped out (about a grand, I've checked).

I haven't driven one in 20 years, this will either solidly endear me to the good old humvee or turn me off to the thing entirely cursing my stupidity every mile of the way home (I-70 to I-81 to I-66) couple of stops on the way for some ice packs and vitamin M.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

I have shipped several hmmwv, you can do ALOT better than $1000, for 750 miles. I had a wrecke hummer h1, that did not move, shipped from NJ to Ft Lauderdale for $1200. if it had not had the front end collision, it would of cost me 575, but it had to be put on a flat bed tow truck, by itself. Dayton Ohio, to Ft Lauderdale $575. Ft Brag NC to Ft Lauderdale $600. you need to do a little more research. I would rather pay $500 than drive 1500 miles round trip! The only way I would drive 1500 miles if I knew it was a sure thing with identical twins, with no gag reflex.

NormB

I have shipped several hmmwv, you can do ALOT better than $1000, for 750 miles. I had a wrecke hummer h1, that did not move, shipped from NJ to Ft Lauderdale for $1200. if it had not had the front end collision, it would of cost me 575, but it had to be put on a flat bed tow truck, by itself. Dayton Ohio, to Ft Lauderdale $575. Ft Brag NC to Ft Lauderdale $600. you need to do a little more research. I would rather pay $500 than drive 1500 miles round trip! The only way I would drive 1500 miles if I knew it was a sure thing with identical twins, with no gag reflex.

I checked into Uship, got six bids (one from a regular HERE), best of 'em was $935 plus $80 for Uship.

I'm leaning towards going that route. I'll sleep on it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

FearedEffect

Just trying to add to what others had said about you towing set up. Your truck is very small and not well suited to towing such heavy load. Honestly most people would tell you that this is really unsafe. If i were in your shoes wouldn't mind pulling it a short distance like 100 miles or so. Going several hundred miles though I would just ship it.

If if you do chose to do this make 100% sure your trailer brakes are fully functional. Also make sure to keep it in tow haul no mater how high the engine revs. Better to rev the engine than burn up your trans. Also a big consideration no one has mentioned is hills. If your towing through any mountainous area it will be **** on your truck. I would highly recommend taking a higher with less grades even if it adds a couple hours. I hope this info helps just trying to be constructive your truck could do this but it'll really keep you on your toes.

As far as driving it like you first suggested. I would say this is a good option. Just that you have to be comfortable that if you do break down you'll have to pay for a tow, drive a rental car home and then pay for someone on uship. To pick your truck up. 9/10 you'd probably make it back here no problem, but probably the cheapest,easiest, low hassle way is uship. Come on though that's no adventure.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say you are most definitely OVER on your tow capacity and the Hummer weighs more than the tow vehicle! Good trailer brakes are going to be a MUST HAVE on this recovery at the very least, I would like it to read " had a great uneventful recovery" and nothing to include the words "ADVENTURE"!
Keep it safe!
Karl

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hvee

Have it trailered..... unless you need some new stories to tell in a bar. Was gonna drive my 818 from half way x the US but spent the best $2400 I ever spent on a 18 wheeler company that did this for a living and arrived dent free and the big parts were there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks