• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv tachometer installation

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran into the same issue with my 6.2 . Replaced the sender with a new one but no luck. The old sender was yellow and the new one I got is black, is there a difference? The black one was the only one on e bay.
Whats the number on the white decal on your tach ?
Starts with 5K1, or 5D1.

mdes0

I unfortunately painted the sides since it doesn't fit flush in the autometer cup. Wish I was more careful now, can only see the first few numbers, 5-K1. The rest is a guess, 2500-94-24-BA-N-00. I also see 00049383

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I unfortunately painted the sides since it doesn't fit flush in the autometer cup. Wish I was more careful now, can only see the first few numbers, 5-K1. The rest is a guess, 2500-94-24-BA-N-00. I also see 00049383
5KI will work with sender.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump, to keep up
I also having issues with my tach, it works fine for about an hour or so, then stops, but will restart every morning.

mdes0

Yup, mine works every now and again. Has a total of about 5 hours logged. I've contacted the place I bought it from on bay but haven't heard back. Pretty sure the tach is junk.

Just broke the big girl out on the trails so this is pretty low priority. Think I broke the front dif and something in the TC. 4H has no power just a slight whine and in 4L or L I get no power to front wheels with drive shaft spinning.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, mine works every now and again. Has a total of about 5 hours logged. I've contacted the place I bought it from on bay but haven't heard back. Pretty sure the tach is junk.

Just broke the big girl out on the trails so this is pretty low priority. Think I broke the front dif and something in the TC. 4H has no power just a slight whine and in 4L or L I get no power to front wheels with drive shaft spinning.
This is my second tach. One from an SS member and the other from eBay. It will only work when cold or for an hour, then it stops might run again for a few minutes and stops again. It great for short runs. Lol. Good luck on the drivetrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdes0

Found out how to test a Hall Effect sending unit like the one we have in our Humvees, like to the you tube video is below. When trying the tests the guy describes I found that our sensors do not have an AC output like he describes, ours is DC. My sending unit showed 2.9 volts while the truck was running and only on the female leg, the male leg showed only 0.08.

I also found that with the plug form the sender disconnected from the harness\diag plug my dam tach worked! Just for grins I shut the truck down, reconnected the plug and fired her back up and found that the tach did not work, just did the little jump thing when I turned the key. I then shut it down and disconnected the plug. Started it back up and the tach worked again! Will see if it now works consistently or not.

Since the tach doesn't seem to work when the plug is connected I went a head and checked the harness\diag plug side for voltage and found that on both legs with the engine on or off it had 3.9 volts. I'm wondering if there is a short or something else wrong in the harness which is screwing up the tach signal.

Hope this info helps someone with their mysterious tach issues.

If it starts to have issues again I think I will clean up the mount for the sensor since it must be using the connection to the motor for ground.

20180404_113102.jpg 20180404_113018.jpg

https://youtu.be/N5khjYulTLQ

NV555

Which is better, pulling the signal from the tach drive or pulling signal from the alternator? Also, in hmmwv1's first pic, it looks like there are two red wires. I see where the first one goes but where does the second red wire go?
Wow I like the snow chains on the spare tire, great idea!

ari

Found out how to test a Hall Effect sending unit like the one we have in our Humvees, like to the you tube video is below. When trying the tests the guy describes I found that our sensors do not have an AC output like he describes, ours is DC. My sending unit showed 2.9 volts while the truck was running and only on the female leg, the male leg showed only 0.08.

I also found that with the plug form the sender disconnected from the harness\diag plug my dam tach worked! Just for grins I shut the truck down, reconnected the plug and fired her back up and found that the tach did not work, just did the little jump thing when I turned the key. I then shut it down and disconnected the plug. Started it back up and the tach worked again! Will see if it now works consistently or not.

Since the tach doesn't seem to work when the plug is connected I went a head and checked the harness\diag plug side for voltage and found that on both legs with the engine on or off it had 3.9 volts. I'm wondering if there is a short or something else wrong in the harness which is screwing up the tach signal.

Hope this info helps someone with their mysterious tach issues.

If it starts to have issues again I think I will clean up the mount for the sensor since it must be using the connection to the motor for ground.

View attachment 724244 View attachment 724245

https://youtu.be/N5khjYulTLQ
Did you ever figure out why the tach works when its unplugged from the transmission? mine does the same it worked for a good while then started dying it works great when disconnected from tranny.

mdes0

Nope, never did. Tach has been working great since I disconnected it so never looked back, not to mention I keep breaking other stuff...

Matt

Valor

Does anybody know what this tach is looking for as far as a sensor signal? I hook mine up and I think it's correct but the tach is erratic with the engine running. I don't have the wiring part that goes into the body. I just ran a couple of wires from the sensor/sending unit to the tach + and - SIG connectors. I looked at the sender signal with my oscilloscope, and it looked like a mess, not a nice square wave. Does anyone know if there is a filter or sensor signal conditioning circuit in the tach that cleans up that signal? Is there an external one in the wiring harness that I don't have? From what I can see with my oscilloscope, it is a very low amplitude signal. Maybe too low? We're talking millivolts. I'd like to get this tach working ....someday. Anyone have more info on what this tach wants? It is a 5K1-03500-RPM-24-BA-W-00 tach. Sending unit/seensor is the yellow one.

Attachments

Valor

Does anybody know what this tach is looking for as far as a sensor signal? I hook mine up and I think it's correct but the tach is erratic with the engine running. I don't have the wiring part that goes into the body. I just ran a couple of wires from the sensor/sending unit to the tach + and - SIG connectors. I looked at the sender signal with my oscilloscope, and it looked like a mess, not a nice square wave. Does anyone know if there is a filter or sensor signal conditioning circuit in the tach that cleans up that signal? Is there an external one in the wiring harness that I don't have? From what I can see with my oscilloscope, it is a very low amplitude signal. Maybe too low? We're talking millivolts. I'd like to get this tach working ....someday. Anyone have more info on what this tach wants? It is a 5K1-03500-RPM-24-BA-W-00 tach. Sending unit/seensor is the yellow one.
This is the tach I have. It has the 4 screws on the back. I am trying to install this in a civy vehicle with the 6.5 GM engine with the yellow sending unit that goes in the back top of the engine where a distributor would go on a gasser engine. I'm using a 12 volt to 24 volt converter to power the tach. I have contacted Ametek/Dixson concerning what this tach looks for as far as a signal to work but havn't heard back from them. Has anyone tried hooking this up in a non-military vehicle? Thanks.

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the tach I have. It has the 4 screws on the back. I am trying to install this in a civy vehicle with the 6.5 GM engine with the yellow sending unit that goes in the back top of the engine where a distributor would go on a gasser engine. I'm using a 12 volt to 24 volt converter to power the tach. I have contacted Ametek/Dixson concerning what this tach looks for as far as a signal to work but havn't heard back from them. Has anyone tried hooking this up in a non-military vehicle? Thanks.
why waste the time and money trying to make a military 24v Tach work in a civilian truck, there are many civilian Tach’s designed to work in your truck.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why waste the time and money trying to make a military 24v Tach work in a civilian truck.
Because the military tach is a 3500 rpm gauge which is more responsive to a low-rpm diesel engine. I am preparing to install a new HMMWV 3500 rpm tach in my M1028 in a custom-built cluster and have the HMMWV sending unit which mounts on the oil pump drive, however I have not tested this connection and do not know that the signal from the sending unit will be correct. I am also interested in knowing the outcome of this thread. Here is a photo of my sending unit and cluster -

HMMWV tach signal sender with female-side plug.JPG IMG_3550.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks