• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV tire squeal

Katavic918

Is it normal for an m998 to squeal the tires when turning? The trans case is in H and it seems like the inside rear tire is squealing when I make a turn. Thanks for any info.

parklandtrans

M998 Tire Squeal

Check all tire pressures and ALSO Tire Diameter...!! If one Tire is considerably smaller in diameter that wheel will be turning at a considerably different rpm...it's a real quick, painless and no real cost check..!!
Please let me know if this takes care of issue or not...😀
Bob/ Parkland Trans

Last edited:

Katavic918

Got it figured out. It turned out to be the front tires making noise. They were towed out about an inch and a half. Got it adjusted and no more noise. Handles a lot better also.

parklandtrans

Outstanding.....!!!...you now have taken care of the front tire alignment but what about the rear tire alignment..??
All HMMWV's are four wheel alignment by design...so if you had a problem with the front there is a good chance that rear is out of spec's as well. It's a lot cheaper to get a 4 wheel alignment then it is to keep replacing tires. You could be 1/8 -1/4" out of spec, not even feel it and within 50-100 miles you got 2..maybe 4 defective donuts. I know there's a lot of used tires but why not just get it done right and not have to fool with it ANY more..??..sound good..?
Most tire shops should be able to handle the real HMMWV's and H1's

Let me know either way my fellow Steel Soldier,
Bob

Katavic918

You sound like an excellent salesman. Lol. All in good time. I'd like to get the major demons taken care of first. The rear tires seem pretty evenly worn so ill leave it alone for now. Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks