• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv tires on a M1009 - again

jag7720

How did this guy do this?

It doesn't look like it is lifted and it still has the original running

What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Is it worth it? How does a bias-ply tire really ride at hwy speeds?

Attachments

landry1

what are you asking? tires? lift? you can put 36's on a cucv and just trim the fender a little bit at stock height

jag7720

what are you asking? tires? lift? you can put 36's on a cucv and just trim the fender a little bit at stock height

I am asking about this setup...

It doesn't look like it is lifted... is it?

Those are 6 bolt rims... what size and from where are they obtained?

Is the body trimmed?

Are spacers used? if so how thick

etc...

86M10086.2L

They are not factory M1009 wheels. They are 16.5 inch wheels. You used to be able to get them from GM but I don't think they are available any more. Bottom line is, if you can find the wheels or 16.5" wheels that you like, they will fit no lift just fender trimming. The 36's can be dificult to balance, you will loose a little MPG's, they get flat spots when they sit for any lenght of time, even in the summer. They wear quicker than radials typical set gets 20-30K miles. But if they're a good set (evenly worn), and balanced well they ride just as well as any large offroad tire. They will make noise fairly loud, and they will bounce alittle at higher speeds (60mph +). They have been know to be out of round right from goodyear. That said for the money I think they are still a good deal. I don't know of any 36" tire that can be had for roughly $100. The 37" radials are nicer, but cost more and require that much more room. I have 11 of the 36's at my house right now in 85% or better shape all mounted on wheels 4 on aluminum the other 7 on HMMWV beadlocks and I don't even have $600 invested in them. Try even getting 4 chinese 36's for that. For now I will deal with the minor defects associated with these older bias ply tires. When the well dries up I'll either go to comercially available bias plys or radials. But again for the money you can't beat em. Especially if its a truck you don't drive everyday. I'd probably look to at least re-gear on a M1009 though. Thats alot to ask of a 10 bolt with 3.08's. Would be a real dog very under geared.

Last edited:

black06

those are just regular steel wheels painted olive green......... probably 35's with no lift......

the HWWMV 12 bolts and Goodyear 37's I put on the m1008 i'm working on wouldn't have cleared with the stock height.

Althought the m1008's look great with the dually track width and H1's!

rottiedog

I have 36 inch tires on my 1009. Fit with no lift but could not turn AT ALL. Even 4" in the front, there is major hitting off road. One wheel got stuck so bad at an outing that I had to get picked by a boom truck from the front end to get it unstuck.. I am glad there were no pictures of that. Going to 6 inches of lift on the front to match the rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks