• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV tires

rustyolred

Well when I bought my 85 M1028 it had a set of 37x12.5-17 SS trxus tires on it that were completely bald. I traded those 4 tires and wheels for a set of 5) 37x12.50-16.5 HMMWV itres mounted on mickey thompson classic II wheels. The tires have been great for nearly a month now. Until today. I had to haul a loaded trailer and pickup bed full of construction debris to the landfill. Here in NC the monsoon had set in this AM. I got to the landfill and had the hardest time backing the trailer up in the clay/mud. The HMMWV tires really bring the suck in the mud. Other than that I love them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There great on the road, pretty quiet, pretty soft ride.

They are not great in mud. Wheel speed is your friend in mud. Wheel speed in a cucv is not easy.

allrevup

:ditto:The only real avantages they have is price, and with their rubber compounds will probably last a long time but not very good in snow as you would think a radial would be and weak side walls so you most be mindfull of debry.

Now I am looking for a DEAL on the military/BFG
There great on the road, pretty quiet, pretty soft ride.

They are not great in mud. Wheel speed is your friend in mud. Wheel speed in a cucv is not easy.

dstang97

I dont think I would buy them again. I needed tires but did not want to spend $325 each. maybe next time. I won't say the name of the company, but you get what you pay for. They are taken off for a reason.

allrevup

I dont think I would buy them again. I needed tires but did not want to spend $325 each. maybe next time. I won't say the name of the company, but you get what you pay for. They are taken off for a reason.
I think you are talking about the tire Co., Who's tires the military order taken OFF the HMMWV immediately as they did not meet their specs (on Heavy Armour H1) there is a reprint of that some were in here?.
I should have bought 5 NEW for $700 (way over my tire budget LOL) at Aberdeen, MD. :cookoo:
I wasn't sure if they would work with the first design HMMWV 8 bolts wheels.
Now, I think they would have made better ALL around tires then the Goodyear 37" OZ, unless heavy cargo is an issue.

dstang97

I was talking about the ones you can get for $65-75 dollars each. A well know company that sells to the Off road community. They were all taken off because they are Blems. Chunks missing, slight cuts, can't balance, Tread, or out of date. I would have bought the 5 new for 700 in a heart beat.

allrevup

What do the military bfg's look like and what size are they?
I just learn about then last year but they have being out on the field for some time.
They are a hybrids of Michelin(BFG, parent company)military and BFG off-road/New Mud/Baja treads.
There is a good tread here under HMMWV BGF tires with different photo shots.
When I snatch a set for under $400 :jumpin: I will post my personal impressions!

Matt65

I love mine, cheap overdrive and got 5 of them for $75/pc. I didn't bother balancing mine and the ride was great once I drove the flat spots away. They are very quite. Gave $50 for the set of GM wheels, with the spare actually an old Ford wheel. More details in my signature link.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks