• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv to cucv upgrades!

85-m1028

has anyone ever modified a radiator fan from a hmmwv A-1 to bolt up to the cucv fan clutch? The A-1 uses a clockwise rotation 10 blade composite fan. Coupled to a 110 gpm high flow water pump and high flow 180 degree thermostat this would be a "low cost" but very effective cooling stystem upgrade!! I just need to know where to get a original A-1 radiatior fan, can any one help me with this??

Dieselsmoke

Have you had a cooling problem to warrant doing this? I just sold an A1 fan on ebay a while back, went for about $40.

85-m1028

my original engine failed because of multiple cracked pistons. my radiator has been recored with the four row using the larger cooling tubes "the old one was corroded badly". I saw the a-1 fan on e-bay but was out bid at the last second, this is where I got the idea of using that fan. I am ugrading the cooling system as prep for a turbo and high output injection pump

mangus580

From what I have heard, the military actually filed a lawsuit against a piston manufacuter because of the cracking problem. there was one brand that was known for the issue, and it might not have been due to heat. FYI...

swinters

I just came back from a year in Iraq and we did a LOT of experimenting with cooling our vehicle engines. We added armor and A/C to our vehicles, which put more load on the cooling system to the point that the guys turned the A/C off to keep the engines from heating up and vapor locking the fuel system. Of everything we tried, the answer turned out to be adding regular commercial electric fans (the type that go right on the radiator and have a coolant sensor). They worked every time - even on 130-140 F days!

Sam27

Gotta be a replacement for the mechanical fan... I was going to do this mod on my civy K5, mostly for the fun of it to open up the engine bay and maybe get back a few horsepower. I think you need to do a little custom fab to get the shrouds and stuff right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks