• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV torsen differential question

Sawsall

I have a torsen lsd differential/ring gear carrier made for a HMMWV...

My question is: anybody know what brand/style/model the differential is from a HMMWV? Example:"hmmwv diff uses same parts as a Dana 44" or same parts as Ford 9"... Reason for asking, I'm in need of a better axle in my 83 El Camino ( I have smoked it). And if I could happen to find a axle that the diff carrier will work in... I could also make it LSD...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a torsen lsd differential/ring gear carrier made for a HMMWV...

My question is: anybody know what brand/style/model the differential is from a HMMWV? Example:"hmmwv diff uses same parts as a Dana 44" or same parts as Ford 9"... Reason for asking, I'm in need of a better axle in my 83 El Camino ( I have smoked it). And if I could happen to find a axle that the diff carrier will work in... I could also make it LSD...
Speaking as an auto guy, this is a fools errand. How can you possibly consider placing a military axle designed for 40-50 miles per hour into a vehicle meant to drive upwards of 140?

If military issue units were better than what is out there for competition, you would see everyone using military issue.

You can't save money when trying to work on a fast car. Buy the correct limited slip differential or upgrade to a strange engineering axle or other some such dragracing axle.

MHO,

T

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's related to a Dana 20 used in Jeeps. Not sure what the spline count is on them though, maybe they're the same. But if not, you'd be looking at custom axles. (You're going to have to have the axles redrilled for the 4-3/4" pattern, as well as adapting brakes.) And the Torsen diff in the HMMWV isn't a limited slip, it's a torque sensing/biasing differential.

IMHO, you're going to sink a lot of money into this axle to piecemeal it together from so many designs with questionable results. You'd be better served keeping the HMMWV diff as a spare or sell it as a spare. Then buy either a 8.5" 10 bolt from a GN/T-type/Olds Hurst for a bolt in job, or get a 9" made up. Both of those options will be a higher cost up front. But I bet you'd have as much in building a hybrid you're talking about or even more since there's not any off the shelf parts for what you're after.

Or go the route I took with my 87 Monte Carlo SS, find a 12 bolt from a 1st gen and use the control arm swap kits.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Speaking as an auto guy, this is a fools errand. How can you possibly consider placing a military axle designed for 40-50 miles per hour into a vehicle meant to drive upwards of 140?

If military issue units were better than what is out there for competition, you would see everyone using military issue.

You can't save money when trying to work on a fast car. Buy the correct limited slip differential or upgrade to a strange engineering axle or other some such dragracing axle.

MHO,

T
The diff already turns at a high speed on a HMMWV, It has at the minimum 2.41 gears feeding into the gearboxes at 1.98. The option he's speaking about would eliminate that secondary reduction since the gearboxes no longer are employed. I do agree that he's going to spend a lot trying to fabricate what he's got in mind.

Sawsall

Thanks 86humv.

Everyone else, It is only the torsen LSD/ ring gear carrier... Not a complete differential/pumpkin... No case, no ring gear, no pinion gear, no brakes, not an axle...

Torsen lsd are in many cars, trucks, 4x4s...

I'm just trying to figure out

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A Torsen is not a LSD. It's a torque sensing/biasing differential. And I was speaking to just the carrier. Everything else you're going to have to gather/fabricate/have made.

I'd recommend considering the alternatives I posted. I've been down the path of putting oddball stuff into things so many times. It always costs more than you planned.