• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Trailering

rcb

MVers: When my EUC clears and I schedule pick up for my HMMWV, I was wondering how fellow MVers
have been trailering them. I see pictures of a good many of them sitting on regular car trailers
but I'm curious how they are loaded. My car trailer is 83 1/4 " between fenders and my construction
trailer is about the same. I believe the distance between the HMMWV outside of the tires is just a bit
wider. Are you just driving and forcing the vehicle between the fenders or driving up on one fender ??
Thanks...
Bob

Sintorion

Mine is 85" sidewall to sidewall. My trailer was 83. I drove down the middle. The fenders were solid so the tires squeezed between them. They were a touch bowed when I was done. I was thinking about stacking some 2x6s to drive over.

jeffy777

My measurements:
The outside edges of the HMMWV is 85 inches(not including mirrors). The standard military wheels are however a little over 82 inches edge to edge. You should be fine although you need to be very good at driving up on the trailer.

The TM -10 says:
Page 1-30 of the Operations Manual (TM 9-2320-280-10) says 85 inches.

Jeff

Sintorion

I think the 82" wheel measurement is probably accurate, but it doesn't taken tire sidewall sag into consideration. The sidewalls of the tires bulge out which is where you easily pick up the extra 1.5" x 2. It is really a matter of inches. As long as your wheels are above the sidewalls and your air pressure is around 20, you should be able to squeeze through. Just be careful if you do bend the fenders, that they don't touch your trailer tires going down the road. A little rubbing on those and you will be in for a wild ride.

PaFarmer

My trailer is 81" between the fenders. I made a set of ramps the shape of the fenders. The HMMWV tires were several inches over the fenders on both sides. 85" is a good estimate. My tires were not fully inflated, so the foot print was wider.

desmodromic

Sidewall to sidewall is definitely 85-86". As sintorin and others have said, either lower the air pressure and squeeze it through or build wooden ramps. The only real option for full clearance is a deckover. I recently bought a 102" wide trailer with drive over fenders specifically for my Humvees, but unfortunately it is still only 83" between fenders and the fenders are too wide to drice over both at the same time. :(

My M966 made it on fine, but it still has the 36" RT pizza cutters. I am confident things will get a bit tighter once the 37" MTRs go on.

Good luck with the recovery.

Attachments

ARYankee

83" of clearance will get you. I had the same questions and concerns when my EUC cleared earlier this month. I rented a trailer with 83" of clearance inside the fenders. The wheels rubbed but it fit. You will need a really good spotter. I was also concerned about the weight but the trailer was rated for 7,000 lbs. Depending on the Humvee configuration, more than likely it weighs a bit under 6,000 lbs.

teteacher101

MVers: When my EUC clears and I schedule pick up for my HMMWV, I was wondering how fellow MVers
have been trailering them. I see pictures of a good many of them sitting on regular car trailers
but I'm curious how they are loaded. My car trailer is 83 1/4 " between fenders and my construction
trailer is about the same. I believe the distance between the HMMWV outside of the tires is just a bit
wider. Are you just driving and forcing the vehicle between the fenders or driving up on one fender ??
Thanks...
Bob
I used my car trailer but it has aluminum fenders that are removable. So an electric impact and a wrench, an a fender is off in about a minute.

OLDBEAR1234

83" of clearance will get you. I had the same questions and concerns when my EUC cleared earlier this month. I rented a trailer with 83" of clearance inside the fenders. The wheels rubbed but it fit. You will need a really good spotter. I was also concerned about the weight but the trailer was rated for 7,000 lbs. Depending on the Humvee configuration, more than likely it weighs a bit under 6,000 lbs.
I am curious if you were able to rent from a nation wide rental company or someone locally?

pig9r

U haul silver not orange car trailer will work but very tight.

They will not rent if you disclose hmmwv or h1. You will have to say jeep cj5 or something else in their data base. Tow vehicle has to also be rated for the correct gvwr.

Ymmv
The driver‘s side fender fold out on those trailers also which help squeeze through.

Action

If anyone gets in an accident hauling a HMMWV with a uhaul trailer, whether their fault or not, I assume there will be some consequences...
I personally would get a flat equipment trailer rated to haul it, with a tow vehicle rated to tow such trailer. Rollback tow trucks used to charge $1 / mile one way.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One caveat with the Uhaul trailer, what I was informed is the way their insurance works is once everything is in the system (tow vehicle and trailered vehicle) that is what the insurance on the trailer covers. If anything happens to the trailer with a different tow vehicle or different load trailered, then the insurance in the rental contract is null and void, and they can go after you for any damages to the trailer.
Not saying it is true, but it is something I have been told, and it does make some sort of sense. Their system is set up to cover their butts with rentals; i.e. to prevent people who likely don't know how to drive a trailer from being stupid (like trying to tow a heavy car on a trailer behind an old ford ranger with the ball only on the bumper).
Looks like Action beat me to it.

OLDBEAR1234

If anyone gets in an accident hauling a HMMWV with a uhaul trailer, whether their fault or not, I assume there will be some consequences...
I personally would get a flat equipment trailer rated to haul it, with a tow vehicle rated to tow such trailer. Rollback tow trucks used to charge $1 / mile one way.
Yes, I am looking for a truck and trailer, I have not found one yet. Thanks.

OLDBEAR1234

One caveat with the Uhaul trailer, what I was informed is the way their insurance works is once everything is in the system (tow vehicle and trailered vehicle) that is what the insurance on the trailer covers. If anything happens to the trailer with a different tow vehicle or different load trailered, then the insurance in the rental contract is null and void, and they can go after you for any damages to the trailer.
Not saying it is true, but it is something I have been told, and it does make some sort of sense. Their system is set up to cover their butts with rentals; i.e. to prevent people who likely don't know how to drive a trailer from being stupid (like trying to tow a heavy car on a trailer behind an old ford ranger with the ball only on the bumper).
Good points for sure.

Action

You can't make this stuff up....

<iframe width="754" height="424" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As always ymmv but different Insurance companies and state regs come into play. Your auto policy typically will cover any trailer you tow. Check your policy and State Requirements.

AOR

I haul all my stuff on a 14k 102” wide deck over trailer no fenders to worry about. The HMMWV is fairly light load at 5200 lbs but with the engine and drivetrain mounted to the passenger side and on an angle and with most of the weight upfront I use my air bags on my ram 2500. I have hauled much heavier loads not needing to use the bags so be prepared for allot of tongue weight

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks