• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV wheel backspacing?

Kellyboy

I have a M1008 with 5" lift using 4" HD rough country + Zero rates up front and ORD shackle flip + zero rates in the back. I want to order 12 bolt HMMWV wheels from trailworthy fab but unsure about what backspacing to recenter to. Also wondering which center is better: curved press in or flat welded. Has anyone here bought from this outfit? I have searched as much as I can stand reading advice that contradict each other. Would love to hear from someone with a similar set up as mine who used trailworthy.
thanks.

richingalveston

I had a set. 3.5 inch back spacing with pressed center is what is had. wheels are fine but not street legal.
in some areas the LEO's don't care but in Houston they look at that stuff.

I have same lift as you (5 inch)on 1009 wheels did not rub on frame, slight rub on fenders but only at full flex.

I found some street legal bead locks so that is why I sold the twf set that I had.

Attachments

Kellyboy

Thanks Rich. I was hoping it was 3.5 as that is the only way to go with the pressed center. Was the legal issue the pressed center or was it because they are split rims. Seems crazy either way. Great looking rig and thanks for the good info.

Chaski

Stock HMMWV wheels are about 7” backspacing.
Flat centers can get you all the way up to 5”
Stamped centers are 3.5”

I ran flat centers with gussets and managed to crack the gussets and wheel shells in 10,000 miles. They actually leaked out the cracks. If you search the site you can find my post.

Now I run standard HMMWV with 2” thick bolt on hubcentric steel wheel spacers made by Stahl in Nevada. Much less trouble, and I get the 5” backspacing I want.

I do have a couple of buddies that have put 50,000+ miles on stamped centers with no issues. That being said the more you can tuck your front wheels in the easier it will be on your kingpins and fenders with a smaller scrub radius.

richingalveston

the legal issue is once modified not dot approved.
Pretty much a label/certification they loose.

because of the rock ring, they look like they have bolt on bead locks which are not legal so they drew a lot of attention.
Without the rock ring it may be different and it is different in all states.

beltfedonly

I have a set of the proper 2 inch wheel spacers that will work with the stock Hmmwv wheels. New with the lug nut.
$100.00 for the pair.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Chaski, "the trail" told me when to quit cutting. I need the big openings as I plan to go with 40's + take two inches of lift out. Otherwise it won't fit in the garage.

You can sorta see in the avatar that the suspension uses all the available space.

Last edited: