• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Wheel/Tire Decision

85 USMC M998

Guys,
I am going to need new tires on the rear in the near future (depends on how many miles I put on). I currently have the Bias Ply Goodyear Military OZ (8 bolt rim).
The first question is should I look at upgrading to the newer Goodyear M/T Radials?
Are the following really worth the expense of new wheels (rims)?
How is the on & off-road performance of the Bias Plys compared to the M/Ts?
90% of the time the HMMWVis on the road but want to have a good performance tire when I do use it off-road.
Is the ride quality/ handling (I know kinda silly it is a HMMWV, but have to ask)?
Thanks for the input.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MT's are pretty cheap now days, and are alot better .
Even better than that...MT'Rs are best choice. ** easier to balance }.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
90% of the time on the road and your runnin Bias ply, how are your,kidneys....lol

Ditto on what others said, you can find a full setup for well under 1k...

85 USMC M998

90% of the time on the road and your runnin Bias ply, how are your,kidneys....lol

Ditto on what others said, you can find a full setup for well under 1k...
Don't know any different; if the radials ride much better the wife will be pleased :)

Next question 12 or 24 bolt rims? Does one really need 24 bolt rims?

Thanks for the input.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a safety thing. While they will physically work, the Army says it is dangerous. 12 bolt rims are cheap. Do it the right way.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a safety thing. While they will physically work, the Army says it is dangerous. 12 bolt rims are cheap. Do it the right way.
Oh gotchya, I didn't realize you were talking about the studs that hold the rim together not the wheel stud pattern that hold it onto the hub.

I can get as many 12-bolt wheels with radial MT's as you want, $100 each. Tread depth would be 75%+. Obviously you would have to cover shipping. I can arrange freight shipping if you have a business address or can pick them up at a terminal nearby.

ClarkeF

The rim design on the 8-bolt wheels does not have the safety lip needed to use radial tires correctly. While they will fit, it is an accident waiting to happen. If you have 8-bolt wheen your ONLY safe choise is bias-ply ties. The wheels are rated at about 2300 each - so about 9K max truck weight.

For radial tires the choices are 12 bolt, 24 bolt even pattern and 24 bolt staggered pattern. There is also an "early" and late 12-bolt, the early uses a spacer and has a lower weight rating than the late. The late has a hole that matches the sections and is visible through the wheel halves.. The load rating on the late 12-bolt is 3850 lbs per wheel at 50PSI. The "normal" tire for that wheel is the Goodyear MT - loadrange "D". The Loadrange "D" BF Goodrich Baja T/A and the Goodyear MT/R are valid tires for the late 12-bolt wheel. Don't mix the Baja and the MT/2 or MT tires - has to be the same all the way around.

When the military started adding armor and more armor to the trucks, 12 late 12-bolt wheel started to have failures - mostly studs breaking from the load. The staggered stud 23-bolt wheels are rated at 4540 lbs at 50 PSI cold. I don't seem to have my load rating for the evenly spaced bolts handy - but it's very similar to the staggered bolts. You CAN mix MT/R and Baja A/T tires in loadrange "E".

Make sense?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks