• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Wiper Motor Stripped Nylon Gear

gcbennet

My new style wiper motor hits a dead spot part way through its wiper cycle and just stops with the motor continuing to buzz away. When i took it apart i discovered that the big, white nylon gear in there has a nice groove carved out of it. Somewhere along the line with the previous owner i'm assuming the wipers got obstructed or something and the weak nylon gear didn't stand a chance against the stronger, metal worm gear that drives it.

Question- considering i'm probably not the first or last person this has happened to, and for the sake of not having to replace a $250 motor for a .50 cent plastic component, does anyone know of metallic aftermarket replacement gears being made for these motors anywhere?

nattieleather

Not trying to be funny here but how good are you at milling? Or a better question maybe do you have a milling or machine shop near your AO that could reproduce the gear in metal? I don't know about up there in your area but around here many libraries and non-profits are developing maker spaces and some have CNC equipment that you can use to make your own device.

papakb

These wiper motors aren't worth repairing other than to change a bad switch. Just replace the unit. They're available surplus through 86humv or many other surplus dealers.

gcbennet

Seems like a good example of poor engineering as seen on civilian vehicles- designed to fail. Replacing these units isn't cheap and someone could potentially stand to make some good coin by casting replacement gears out of aluminum or something and selling them on ebay.. :-b

dilvoy

It stripped for a reason. Maybe the oilite bushings in one or both of the wiper pivots are worn out or rusting of the shaft that passes through them is the cause.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks