• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv won't go on drive when in H but it will go on LOW

Lui1152

I am having issues with my hmmwv.
When in H and drive it has no power. As if there is not enough compression for it to go. I accelerate and nothing happens.

When it is in LOW and drive, it goes.
I already checked the return lines. I blew air in them and they are fine. I also changed the fuel filter.

The hmmwv revs fine when in park.

Any ideas?

It was driving fine before it sat for 1 week and half.

Thanks

Action

What do fuel return lines have to do with the transfer case? I bet your truck will move in HL and drive, too. If so, something is broken in the driveline. Probably part of a halfshaft.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to be clear about what you are doing, are you talking about the transmission or transfer case when you are talking about high and low???
You look restively new here so to start were all the fluids and filters replaced to start with?? and when you say no go do you mean it will not move at all or just does not have enough power to move well in high range, someone else may chime in here if you have a 4 speed could it be in limp mode??
I just looked it up, if in limp mode it will only be in second gear, would be very sluggish for sure

Last edited:

Lui1152

What do fuel return lines have to do with the transfer case? I bet your truck will move in HL and drive, too. If so, something is broken in the driveline. Probably part of a halfshaft.
Thank you for your reply.

I checked the fuel lines because it was seating for almost 2 weeks in 12 degrees. The original thought was that the fuel gelled up. But unfortunately for me, it was not that easy.

Could you please elaborate more in your answer.
It make sense but I have no idea where to start checking.

Lui1152

You need to be clear about what you are doing, are you talking about the transmission or transfer case when you are talking about high and low???
You look relitivly new here so to start were all the fluids and filters replaced to start with?? and when you say no go do you mean it will not move at all or just does not have enough power to move well in high range, someone else may chime in here if you have a 4 speed could it be in limp mode??

Thank you for your reply.

Yep, I am really new to all of this. I am a little mechanically inclined but not experienced enough with hmmwv.

When I put the transfer case in H and the transmission in overdrive, there is no enough power. It is sluggish....
When I put the transfer case in LOW and transmission in overdrive. It drives with better power but still really sluggish.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If in limp mode it will move OK in low range but the transmission will not shift

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to have to get a handle on whether it is a drive train issue or lack of power, unfortunately "not enough compression to go" does not sound like you are fully understanding how the truck works. it is a diesel, it literally runs on compression, if it did not have enough compression it would ether not run or run poorly with allot of smoke.

Action

Does the truck move at all with the transfer case in H? What happens with it in HL?
Limp mode will drive like normal until it wants to go into 3rd gear.

Lui1152

Does the truck move at all with the transfer case in H? What happens with it in HL?
Yes, it moves when in H but sluggish.
When in HL, same as when in H. It moves sluggish.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly true, in limp mode it will be stuck in 2nd gear only, it would feel somewhat sluggish from a standing start, so it would not act "normal" until time to shift to 3rd.

Lui1152

You are going to have to get a handle on whether it is a drive train issue or lack of power, unfortunately "not enough compression to go" does not sound like you are fully understanding how the truck works. it is a diesel, it literally runs on compression, if it did not have enough compression it would ether not run or run poorly with allot of smoke.

Runs poorly with a lot of smoke.
When in park, it revs fine.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You say revs fine when in park, are you saying it runs poorly and smokes only when in drive?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks