• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hol-Gar CE-301-AC 30kw diesel generator info

CUCV_ut

Hello

Years ago I bought a 30kw generator. It sat for years as backup power at one of the state prisons. It's a Hol-gar CE-301-AC generator FSN 6115-077-8600. It uses a GM Detroit diesel 3-53 engine and I believe it's a Westinghouse generator end. I've had it running a little but the fuel system needs cleaning up. I've never been able to find the TM for it. I finally found the number - TM5-6115-321-15 and is from 1968. This is before the MEP series of generators. Does anyone have a TM in their collection? I'd love to get it running. I could use a 3-53 manual but that wouldn't help me with the governor or controls, if I recall the governor is hydraulic. This is the non-precise version of the generator. I'll try and post some more pictures this weekend.

Hol-gar.jpg

Last edited:

Russell

Hello CUCV_ut,

Did you ever find the TM for the generator you posted about above? I have the same generator and had it running, but i think i may have ruined the hydraulically controlled governor by putting in the incorrect fluid. it just runs away and the rev limiter shuts it down. The rack is free. I have searched for hours without finding any good information.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I do not have a copy of the TM's. I have worked for a number of years on Electro/Hyd gov systems. What did you put in for Hyd fluid? Cherry juice is whats supposed to be in it. Tell me what it is doing, and not doing. The biggest problem with the Hyd actuator is the "O" rings. If they are bad, sometimes the actuator hunts, (Extreamly fast, or extremely slow), and sometimes it goes to full fuel and stay there. Do not adjust the electric governor, unless you have a real good idea about how it works. Take a picture of it. Is it a Westinghouse? Why do you want a precise gen set? Consider converting it to a manual throttle.

Russell

Hello Guyfang,

when I try to start the generator, it does start, but immediately revs too high and the rev limitor shuts it down. I can reset the limitor and repeat the process. I used 46 awg hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply. It did function and made power just after I put this in. It has set for 3 months or more and now will not run steady. It is a Westinghouse and is now leaking fluid. I am new to working on these old gen sets so please forgive my ignorant question, but what is the benefit of the precise gen set over manual throttle?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Long ago, and far away, we had three types of 15, 30, 60 and 100 KW gen sets in three types. Type one was Utility, (50/60 hertz). It was for the unwashed masses. People who needed power, but it did not have to be stable. Both volts and hertz. If its off a bit, it was simply no big deal. It had a throttle control cable.

Then we had Precise, (50/60 hertz). It was for missile systems, aircraft, radars, computers and the like.

Then we had 400 hertz models, that were the same as the Precise, but were 400 hertz. The old precise sets were run on an Electro/Hydraulic governing system. When they worked, (not often, or long) they were a rock solid system. The hertz and voltage were on the mark, and did not move a bit. Throw a load on, I don't care how big, and within a few seconds, it was back to normal. But reliability sucked.

The governors were not reliable. We changed them like underwear. The actuators were not reliable. We changed them lots more often the governors. The problem with the actuators was several fold. The magnetic coil in the darn thing shorted out, or became Mal-adjusted often. The "O" rings wore out faster then a speeding bullet. The actuator piston was lubed by the hyd fluid, and it was just not enough. The gov and funky actuators simply wore out the "O" rings. In 1974-75, we got new "O" rings, With Teflon liners. Worked better, but was still crap. If cherry juice causes cancer, I am going to croak soon. I took a bath in it daily.

Then, about 1976, we got the "NEW" gen setsMEP-004, MEP-005 and MEP-006. Still had electro/hyd system, but inproved. Still sucked. Same problems. If not worse. Then came the TROSCM fix. Electronic governors, (Gov's of America) and electronic actuators. Still sucked, but was WAY better. The update added a motional sensor, MPU, (Magnetic Pick Up) and removed all that electro/hyd crap.

I know, got long winded. Its been almost 50 years and I am still mad about it.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is the button that I push to rest this component that I am calling the rev limiter.
View attachment 791769
That is the Speed Switch. There might be a schematic on the gen set doors, and the speed switch is often called S9. I don't know if your is, but the speed switch has three sets of contacts.

S9-1 is the starter lockout. When it hit a certain RPM, it cuts out the starter, and excites the main gen. S9-2 turns on the gov. S9-3 is the over speed. When S9-3 trips, it cuts off the power to the fuel cut off solenoid, turning off the engine.

Russell

Hello Guyfang,
Thanks for the history lesson!! Greatly appreciated. Have you ever talked to someone about how hydraulic governors make you feel? When is the first time you felt this way? If you ever need to talk about it I am here for you. Lol

I would like to use the generator to power my house and the sensitive electronics in emergencies. Or sell it, this is really way to much generator for me. According to the serial plate it was produced for the Army Corp of Engineers.

I will check out the manuals you referenced above. Thanks for all your help. It is much more than I expected.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hello Guyfang,
Thanks for the history lesson!! Greatly appreciated. Have you ever talked to someone about how hydraulic governors make you feel? When is the first time you felt this way? If you ever need to talk about it I am here for you. Lol

I would like to use the generator to power my house and the sensitive electronics in emergencies. Or sell it, this is really way to much generator for me. According to the serial plate it was produced for the Army Corp of Engineers.

I will check out the manuals you referenced above. Thanks for all your help. It is much more than I expected.
Thanks for giving me something to do!

The 30KW is a bit big for a house. A 10 KW might be a better deal. You need to look at how much power you need. And how much you want. Not always the same. There are more then a handful of threads covering this question. And a bunch of smart guys who can help you figure out the answer. I just like to fix things.

Yes, I am a little bit around the bend. BUT, Happy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks