• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holding a Pair o' Deuces!

Well - completed a successful recovery of my first deuce (x2) from Barksdale AFB yesterday! :beer:

Took the sound advice of several members on here and used UShip to locate a trucker to haul both of 'em home for me. The broker and trucker were absolutely fabulous to deal with, so if anyone needs to find someone to transport a deuce or two (or any other MVs or other heavy stuff for that matter) let me know, as I can highly recommend these folks. I thought their price was very reasonable, they were extremely patient with a first time shipper and treated the two deuces as if they were their own. Really great folks!

Initially had the wild idea of going to get the deuces one at a time and drive 'em home with the wife in a chase jeep, but know for certain that I made the correct decision in having them hauled to my place.

One of the old girls started right up (after we swapped in a new set of batteries - wouldn't take a jump probably because the old batteries were just too low on juice). Couldn't get the other girl to stay running (started up briefly with a shot of either - but would not start without it and would not stay running). So we used the running one to pull the "non-running" one onto the semi-trailer and brought 'em home.

I'm fairly certain the "non-running" one just needs a little fuel system TLC. :grd:

Wife thought I was a little off to buy one - and when I told her I had "won" two well . . . . her only reaction was :cookoo:

Of course, that was before she drove one around the pasture - now she's hooked! :lol:

Enjoy the pics! Am sure I'll be back with lots of questions as I get to know the two old ladies a little better!

Attachments

wsucougarx

outstanding! Glad your recovery went well. Hmm USAF deuces? Are they the late model ones with the split brake circuits? Looks like you scored some great trucks

oddshot

Wife thought I was a little off to buy one - and when I told her I had "won" two well . . . . her only reaction was :cookoo:

Wow ... TWO of 'em!!!

I don't know how you done it ... but

YOU DONE GOOD BOY!!!

I only got one and my wife STILL thinks I'm nutz ... but at least its in the driveway.

Her complaint is that the Deuce is too BIG. I showed here how I was going to cut it down and bob it some ...

Then ... it won't be BIG no more ...

Just TALL!

:driver:

oddshot

wsucougarx

Good to have two deuces. Never know when you may need to tow one home. Couldn't imagine what a tow bill would be if you had to call a company. Good insurance to have two I always say

AGE|kshaufl

That is awesome. They look like they are in pretty good shape too.

I am waiting for Monkeyboyarmy to finish the transfercase swap so I can pick mine up.

I am so jealous. These are just so much fun to drive and I plan on driving mine as much as I can.

outstanding! Glad your recovery went well. Hmm USAF deuces? Are they the late model ones with the split brake circuits? Looks like you scored some great trucks

Thanks - yep definitely late model ('88 and '89) AF trucks. I believe they have the dual circuit brake system as I see twin air tanks under each of 'em! :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

oddshot

Couldn't get the other girl to stay running (started up briefly with a shot of either - but would not start without it and would not stay running).

I'm fairly certain the "non-running" one just needs a little fuel system TLC.
Didja cuss it? I always find that helps.

Just a bit now ...

You don't want to flood it up with bitter invective and harsh recrimination.

That can be a real pain to try to clean up later.

oddshot

Planning to go get the 3 M105's (and a few other "small" items I purchased) from Hooks next week. Hoping to do that by myself in two trips - will tow one 105 home with my F350 next Tues., then after I get it back home plan to "play" around with the first one on Weds. - loading it with a winch on and off my 20' GN with the thought of going back to Hooks next Thurs. to pick up the other two in one trip with the GN (assuming I can load the first on and off the GN easily enough - if I can't will have to make a third trip to Hooks the following week). :grd:

oddshot

I Am sure I'll be back with lots of questions as I get to know the two old ladies a little better!

You sound like you got a lot of it under control ... you've been aboard since August ... so's you ain't exactly a "nube".

Just a word to the wise ...

I you feel the urge to ask a real NUBE question ... be sure you read ALL the manuals first ...

THEN

do a complete and through search of the topic ... both on this forum ... and down yonder on the Hot roddin' and modification thread.

If you don't find an answer ...

THEN and only then you can go ahead and ask yer question.

You don't want to go and rile up the "Mary Kay Ladies" around here. :shock:

They can be REAL hard on a nube ... especially if/when they are in full menses.

oddshot

You sound like you got a lot of it under control ... you've been aboard since August ... so's you ain't exactly a "nube".

Just a word to the wise ...

I you feel the urge to ask a real NUBE question ... be sure you read ALL the manuals first ...

THEN

do a complete and through search of the topic ... both on this forum ... and down yonder on the Hot roddin' and modification thread.

If you don't find an answer ...

THEN and only then you can go ahead and ask yer question.

You don't want to go and rile up the "Mary Kay Ladies" around here. :shock:

They can be REAL hard on a nube ... especially if/when they are in full menses.

oddshot

Roger Wilco - that is something that I've definitely learned by being around for the last few months. Believe me I wear the search function out! :beer:

Well - the "initial" plan was to get them both home - pick the better one to keep and sell the other one. Then use the "keeper" for general work around the mini-ranch - hauling hay, firewood, pulling up trees, getting my tractor and skid steer unstuck from time to time, etc., for the occasional trip to HD or Wally World, and a couple times a year driving in the local parades.

The other one ("to be sold") just might end up being bobbed and sticking around - working on that with the wife. One bobbed and one "stock" - sounds as it should be don't ya' think! rofl

Thanks - yep definitely late model ('88 and '89) AF trucks. I believe they have the dual circuit brake system as I see twin air tanks under each of 'em! :beer:
Actually - just went back and looked at the TM (newb mistake on the "twin" air tanks) - the deuces are late model AF trucks for sure ('88 and '89), but am now not sure if they have the split/dual circuit brakes. I had studied the info on this thread (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/18225-later-model-usaf-contract-m35a2c-spotters-guide.html), had many of the attributes listed, and thought I had dual circuit brakes, but maybe not . . . .

Going out in a bit to search for that additional air tank on the passenger side, but am pretty sure it's not there. Darn! I do have the brake light in the center of the dash though . . . . . so am a little confused at the moment on exactly what I have . . . .

broman78

looking at your pictures the first truck on trailer prob has dual circuits. Not sure about 2nd truck on trailer. I looked at a lot of the trucks in shreveport and they were dual circuit trucks. Get under the truck and look for two brake boosters(not sure of name) that will tell if you have dual circuit truck

Flyingvan911

All of the A2's should have two tanks. A dual circuit system will have two airpacks and I think two master cylinders too. A single circuit will have one airpack and MC mounted beside the left frame rail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks