• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hole in axle ends? What for?

I just got my front axle tore all apart to change my boots and seals. On the bottom sides of the axle were the u joint would be there is two holes that are pluged with flush mounting bolts. They are put in with alen head plugs. What are the holes for? K thought about putting a grease fitting in there and then pump axle grease in to top off the hub? Is it a drain to let water out? Does any one have any other ideas for the hole? How about a inlet for air to pressurize the hubs when going into water.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the holes are made to take out the plugs, put a grease fitting in one, grease till grease comes out the other.
ALL this and more can be found in the TMS

NEW pilot, thay can be found here
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

Last edited:

DieselBob

If you mean item "P" in the diagram it was to be able to add grease in the nuckle to keep the older style birfield open ball joints lubed. Note 11 in LO 9-2320-209-12 says to fill with grease to the plug hole 1 a year or every 12K miles to keep the joint lubed.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's amazing what you can find in the Technical Manauls.

Whenever I find something "new" and want to know what it it, I open the parts manual and find the picture of that item. It will tell me what the the name of that part is and then I can look at the other manuals and see how to test, fix and replace it.

That is how I learned about the Deuce and the CUCVs. Never laid an hand on them until about three years ago. Now some people think I'm an expert..... :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks