• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hole in fuel tank

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So quick search didn't turn up this exact thing I found on my truck.

I knew I had a fuel leak from the top of my tank, directly above the fuel fill inlet. Finally got around to dropping the tank today to take a look at it.

922234d29b515d2ff108a09a1aecdfd1bcc99271-1.jpg922234d29b515d2ff108a09a1aecdfd1bcc99271-2.jpg

Pretty obviously a drilled hole. No holes in the bed of the truck, so no idea why a hole got drilled in this spot.

As there isn't any risk of cracking or anything like that, I'll probably plug it with some sealant, a bolt, nut, and a couple of washers.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

papakb

These HDPE tanks are almost impossible to put sealer on that will stick and seal things up. Your best bet is to drop the tank and put a bolt with a couple of rubber sealing washers in it and then use a good fuel resistant sealer on top of that.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
inside the tank was surprisingly clean.
385698c37674b78556c81d445408eb307154ba3b-2.jpg

bought a 5/16 stainless nut, bolt, and washers, used JB Weld PlasticWeld epoxy to seal it up. Even if it doesn't bond to the tank it (and it probably won't) should still make a decent mechanical seal that is diesel resistant. It's at the top of the tank so not like it's going to be submerged all the time, I just don't want stuff getting into or out of the tank if I can help it (especially since I have a fording kit and might take it into deep water if the need arises, though it probably won't). The hole also seemed to be tapered like it was supposed to be threaded for a pipe plug or fitting, but no threads. My bolt cut it's own threads into the tank, so I know it's already a pretty tight fit.
385698c37674b78556c81d445408eb307154ba3b-3.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got everything back installed how it's supposed to be.

So in the course of several hours, I did the following.

Dumped in 10 gallons of fuel, tank reads at 1/4.

Tried to start, no go.
Bled the system at the filter, then at the injectors.
Fired for a few seconds, then died.
Checked fuel filter again, has air in it.

Pressurized the tank a little, looked at all my fuel lines. Didn't see any leaks under the truck, but did find a couple loose clamps on fuel lines I hadn't touched pulling the tank.
Found a little fuel on top of the fuel tank, several of those fittings were loose, and a little bit of fuel around them, most likely the source of the air leak.
Tightened everything up, bled it one more time, and got her running.

She's spending the night on the battery charger, I had the batteries down at about 24V after all that cranking. Still cranked pretty good though, was only just starting to notice it slowing down a little.

Next on the list, CV boot, then figuring out why it seems to shudder a bit during braking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks