• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hole in my fuel tank

red devils dude

I have a hole in my fuel tank(see pic) I want to patch hopefully with a
piece of sheet metal and some epoxy, I have some JB weld but
my dad says there's a brand of epoxy just for patching fuel tanks
anyone heard of it?? well any way here's the pic.

Attachments

Jones

Jed, not sure what it's called but the stuff is usually found in auto supplies in the quick fix aisle along with super-glue and the muffler patch kits. Not sure how fuel resistant JB Weld is but I know it's tough enough to have mended the cracked timing case cover on one of my Cummins' in a Dodge I had; and that was against hot motor oil. With any epoxy; clean, clean, clean is the trick. Any of those kinds of two-part adhesives hate dirty surfaces.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just get a replacement @ Aberdeen...........

Although all kidding aside, I have welded patches in fuel tanks that were irreplacable...just make sure there's no fuel left in 'em..... :)

poppop

JB weld will do the trick. Your hole is high in the tank which will make it better. If still concerned you can get a coating to seal the inside of the tank from a motorcycle shop or antique tractor site. JB weld on the outside and creme on the inside. This stuff is great for rusted tanks as it seals all the rust. The tank has to be absolutly clean for it to work properly.

rice

The two part epoxy fuel tank repair kits work great with gas but I've never tried them with diesel. It should tell you on the package. It usually is a brown and a grey stick that you mix together and press on the hole. It works with gas even if gas is leaking out when you fix it.

williamh

just take the tank to a repair shop ... there should be a radiator repair shop that can tell you who can fix that tank. cuz jb weld is good for a temp fix, but past that .. youll need to get a good fix that will last . a welder will be needed ... and a shop that can do it proplery is the way to go .. come on ... sheet metal screws and jb weld ??? just use some duct tape and zip ties !! :grd:

:nothingfunny:

spicergear

Wow, nice one! Yeah, fuel tank puddy after it's REALLY CLEAN with laquer thinner, then you may even want to take a peice of sheet metal and screw it on over it to really sock it in there. I had a leak in my tank that I fixed about two weeks ago by running a roofing screw with the rubber ring thingy on it to stop the leak, then cleaned it all up real well, then put the puddy crap on (make sure it's nice and warm) then put something to keep pressure on it. No leak.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's not for fuel and I don't know where one would get it but I have a 2 part epoxy that's used to glue road marker reflectors down. It's like an industrial version of JB weld. I'm pretty sure that any of the better 2 part epoxys will patch that and work for quite a long time. The tanks are usually sufficient in gauge so that a sheelt metal patch can be attached with TEK screws too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used fiberglass to repair all the pin holes in my fuel tank, must have been a twentyfive or more. Was done last summer and is holding up fine.
Use a grinder to get down to bare metal. I needed two of the "Bondo" kits that sell for about $10/ea to cover all the little holes. The fuel leak mentioned in another thread is from a valve connection not the tank repair.
The sealing of one of the baffles inside the tank was also done with Bondo fiberglass kits, so it's holding up well against diesel and biodiesel.

rice

The best solution I've found on a diesel tank is draining all the fuel, leave the cap off and either weld the hole or braze it. The only problem with that on a multifuel is that it may have had gas in it. I wouldn't weld it unless it was steam cleaned or cleaned by a radiator shop.

mangus580

RDD, with all you are planning to do with your truck, I would only do it one of 2 ways.

1. Do as ruce says, ahve it steam cleaned, and find someone with a welder

2. Get another tank without said hole!

kenny

I have used the fuel tank epoxy and it worked well.
I have also used Fiber glass resson to repair pin holes in carb floats.
But if it were my tank I would see if there were any way at all to put a brass bar inside of the tank on the hole and a large heavy peace of steel on the out side and try to hammer it back the best I could,Then sand it,then Epoxy it,then paint it and you are done.

red devils dude

there is a radiator shop near me that does fuel tanks(they just put a new tank in my pick-up)
I was going to have the tank steam cleaned when they recore the deuce's radiator I guess
I'll ask if they can weld it or something, I dont want a new tank this one show's what thses trucks
are for that hole is from a big piece shrapnel that was stuck in the filer neck.

m.walker

I've used JB weld in the bottom of gas tanks and it held for years ( just make sure you prep it right ) . Patch it and later when you get another good tank for it save the old one for a spare .

N1265

I normally use a short lag bolt with a washer and a rubber washer / gromet against the tank.... screw it into the hole, then sand around the bolt cleaning up the tank.

after that cover it with the epoxy coumpound. ( made to repair metal ) and then forget about it.

I have done this a couple of times including right on the bottom of the tank. ( from the outside ) repair is good for 6 years and counting.

rizzo said:
alot of guys that weld fuel tanks fill them with water while welding.
I have used that method before and denatured alcohol removes the water and makes for faster drying out time.

Another version I now use.

I do custom painting and when I need to weld on motorcycle tanks, (that have been used), I just hang them on a car/truck exhaust pipe while the engine is running for about 5 minutes. That replaces all the volatile fumes in the tank plus now there is no oxygen for combustion. You could run a hose from a car to the tank.
Oh, I forgot you got no welder......uh.......ya got a buddy with one?

I'm still on the planet with all fingers and eyes so must work ok. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks