• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hole in my J pipe

govt

I know...sounds like a personal problem but I have a silver dollar size hole in the bottom side if the exhaust pipe. I think it's referred to a J pipe? Been reading a lot about replacing. 3.5" pipe is needed to replace I believe. It will be a bit until I can get the truck to a muffler shop...waiting on a SR-97. Is there something I can do to do a temp fix until I can have a replacement pipe installed?

Thanks!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take it to a muffler shop. There was just a bunch of complete exhaust kits released on GL. PM doghead, I think he has several. There's also several on ebay.

kc5mzd

For a temporary fix I would use exhaust putty. They used to have it at most auto parts stores. Its like clay that hardens when it gets hot. It is a temporary fix - untill you can find a good deal on replacement j pipe. At GL?

rlwm211

I had a hole in my J pipe when I got my deuce. I had a laundry list of repaiirs to do and money was tight so I made a temporary repair and it is still holding. I do plan to repace the pipe this spring.

I took a section of a 3" exhaust tailpipe that had a 90 degree bend. I cut the section out of the pipe and then split it in half with a sawzall

Now I had a cap for the outside of a 3" elbow.

The problem is the deuce has a 3-1/2" pipe that is the elbow.

I took an old serpentine belt idler which was 3-1/2" (the flat one) and clamped it in a vice and using that as a mandrel, and employing a mallet, "reshaped" the 3" elbow to 3-1/2".

It fit pretty well. I took 4 hose clamps and clamped it in place. I sealed the patch with silicone seal, which believe it or not, it is still there and has not burned out.

Worked for me but it IS A COB JOB.

As I said I am pulling the pipe this spring and if it is not really solid, I will replace it.'

The cause is not capping the stack and letting water sit in the elbow so if you replace the pipe and do not cap your stack you are simply repeating the process of rotting a hole in the pipe.

Just my two cents

RL

Last edited:

dittle

I made some patches for mine last week out of sheet metal and wire welded it on. Then painted it with high temp grill paint

Blood_of_Tyrants

I took a piece of 18 gauge metal about twice as big as the hole and MIG welded it into place. I then used a hammer to gently shape it to the exhaust pipe and finally welded all the way around the patch. Paint it with black high temp paint and forget it.

tx399999

I just replaced half of my exhaust when I installed my muffler. My j pipe had a big split in it and the elbow off of the turbo looked a little corroded but turned out to have pinholes throughout. Saturn surplus had both at my doorstep within a week. I think I paid 250 for both and I have never had a problem from them. Shoot it with header paint from so you don't have problems in the future.

Attachments