• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holes in the bumper

JB

I searched to see if this has been covered before but did not get a result. Why are there holes in the front bumpers of teh 135/211 series of trucks?

ida34

I think I heard they were real close on the contract weight and were lightening the truck any way they could to say below the contract weight. I may be wrong but I seem hearing this from some unknown source.

emr

, they are a bit flimsy for a mil bumper...the holes probably made em stronger so they would meet spec. ...my 2 cents...that much weight would mean absolutly nothing....on a truck that size...

maybe the holes give the bumper a weak spot to bend to keep the bumper from locking up the front tire if it where in a accident ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it was the engineers way of screwing with a bunch of guys 55 years later. The same engineers sons were putting square holes in the sides of M105 trailers.

JB

I think it was the engineers way of screwing with a bunch of guys 55 years later. The same engineers sons were putting square holes in the sides of M105 trailers.
I think Kenny is the winner. thanks for all that played. :lol:

APM215

One last late entry
In the 50's holes made things look futuristic and cut down on building costs.
Or they cut down on wind resistance to allow the truck to reach that neck braking rocket like speed of 55mph.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks