• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holes in transfer case on M1009

twlinks

I started to change fluid in the transfer case this morning and noticed what looked like a pin hole around the fluted area on the back of the case where the drain and check/fill plugs are. It had that typical aluminum "white corosion" and when I poked around it gently, these three holes opened up. There was no indication that any fluid had leaked through these areas at all. I went ahead and drained the case and got almost a gallon out of it...way more than enough to have been above the level of the holes. I filled it back up and still no fluid coming from any of the holes. Is it possible this area is sealed off from the inside of the case? Everything seems to work fine, all gears function. The holes look too big to me to try and JB Weld, but would a welding shop be able to do anything with it?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/twlinks-albums-solitude-picture20850-p3190013-large.jpg

Attachments

goatijoe

Did it leak after you drove it? i would think about replacing it in the near future a bearing and shaft rides there on the inside(if I remember right). anything that has corrosion like that has weekend the case and I would replace that cover or the whole thing and keep that one as a parts case.

twlinks

Thanks Joe, I didn't know what was behind there. I didn't drive it this morning but I will be tomorrow or Wed. for a bit. I'll watch it close. If I don't use the 4wd though, is that shaft and bearing turning at all?

indy4x4fab

Banned
I'll double check but I think those holes are not suppose to be there. A welding shop may not want to touch it due to the fact that if the aluminum case may be to pores to tig. The tig welds may blow right threw the aluminum case. J.b. weld or replacing the case maybe your only two options. That's where the rear front out put bearing sits if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the REASON it did not leak before is the corrosion that you now removed, bet it leks NOW going down the road,

I would for the time being until you decide what you want to do, clean the area REAL good, then either JB WELD or EPOXY the snot out of it, I had a buick that the trans case found a way to leak, epoxied the crap out of it as a temp fix, till I could find another case, that fix was still there 4 years later when the X wrecked it (1 of 3 cars, 3 of the 1000 reasons she is a X)

Last edited:

twlinks

Not sure how much road salt would have gotten on it while it was in service, but the corosion and holes are sure there. I'll probably do the JB Weld for a temporary and replace the cover or the whole thing like goatijoe suggested.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Not sure how much road salt would have gotten on it while it was in service, but the corosion and holes are sure there. I'll probably do the JB Weld for a temporary and replace the cover or the whole thing like goatijoe suggested.
That's the best way to do it for the time being.

biggestc69

I work for a carburetor shop that specalizes in old BMW carbs. They get that corrosion and pinholes in the float bowls all the time. The stuff we use to fill them is called "Devcon". Works great! Its a two part epoxy. Clean the snot outta it let it setup. I'm sold on it. Main thing is to get it CLEAN!

twlinks

Okay, so I got back down to the shop this morning, under the truck and started cleaning out the "holes". When I dug deeper into the first one, out comes a big worm larva of some kind stuck to the end of my pick. I'm like "wth" is that doing in there...kept picking it out and here is another one. It turns out, when I really did get the recessed area "cleaned" out, there aren't any holes in it all. It was all just a bunch of crud/residue/worm nest gunk in there. I did that on all of them, found more larva in others too and everything is just fine now...lol. I feel kinda foolish but heck, it was good for a laugh at myself anyway...not to mention the $4-5 hundred dollars for a new transfer case.

AND, thanks to the suggestions, I'm now armed with a good epoxy should I need it somewhere in the future. ;)

Last edited:

that1028guy

Nice! I was going to say those are pretty thin walled cases. IF those were holes, there wouldn't be that much fluid left in the case. Pretty good optical illusion tho!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks