• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy cow, I just bought a Deuce

appalacious

Its a GL from Redstone, AL. Looks pretty shabby, but hopefully I can put some love into it.

In the likely chance that its not running, what are some good options for towing it back to middle GA? Does anyone have experience with a commercial towing co.? Any better options?

Also, if anyone can see any major problems that I can't from the pics, please let me know.

Thanks,
J

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not shabby! Bring 2 batteries and your insurance card and drive her home. Nothing looks missing in the pics . . . One coat of paint and she will look like a new truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that truck in my watchlist. Looks pretty squared away to me. Can I ask what it closed at? Papabear might be of some help if you need to tow it. Need to check with him though!

appalacious

insurance card? Don't I need a title first?
Its been 3 years since I bought my blazer from GL, is there a sticky or something with the process?

Air transfer case? Whats that?
Oh guys, the learning curve is steep, but I climb fast.

J

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to Wreckerman. He's been offering to haul trucks for people out of Redstone.

I'm going next week to pick mine up. I can give it a look if you would like.

crazyplowboy

The only Problem that I see with it is the heater. You will not like it at all, I might be willing to take it off your hands for a small fee. HAHAHA nice truck!!

appalacious

What are some of the obvious attributes of this truck? I hear talk of heaters, transfer cases, etc. What are the distinctions from other deuces?
I'm pretty sure the heater is that thing under the dash.
Am I right in thinking it has power steering? If not, whats that big box with 2 hoses on the drivers side of the engine bay?
Thanks,
J

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i might could haul it for you. I'm in Kathleen. about 5 miles from Perry

Chuck

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the big box is the heater. It does not have power steering. You can come by my house if you like and get yourself familiar with a deuce if you like. We can go over one of my trucks. Take it for drive if you like.

Chuck

hulk31st

No, not power steering. That box is the heater, the hoses draw hot water from the engine and blow the warm air into the cab.

Nice truck--great buy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are some of the obvious attributes of this truck? I hear talk of heaters, transfer cases, etc. What are the distinctions from other deuces?
Am I right in thinking it has power steering? If not, whats that big box with 2 hoses on the drivers side of the engine bay?
Thanks,
J
The big box is the heater not PS. You can tell it has a air-shift t-case from the lever on the bottom of the dash near the middle.

woodywood

Private
Thanks,
J
that would be the heater core and blower motor:p

maybefixit

The air transfer case refers to the little switch under the center of the instrument panel. Uses air pressure to positively engage or disengage the front axle, as opposed to a 'sprag type' transfer case. Apparently the sprag type can be a bit tempermental, and can be damaged if you put the truck in reverse while it's moving forward. Nice part about those is they engage automatically if the rear wheels slip.

I don't own a Deuce myself, but have been watching the forums for a while now. There's a couple of TM's that always get recommended to new owners, and the brakes are a big item to check. Many of the Deuces have a single circuit brake system, so one leak can mean no brakes at all, and you have both air systems and hydraulics to look after.

I'd recommend checking the TM's in the forums, there are a lot of quick read 'comic book' style pages available which will help a lot, you can go through a bunch in a couple evenings. Getting a chance to drive a good Deuce would probably be a really good idea - just starting a few at Columbus was an eye-opener for me.

You might search for 'recovery' in addition to 'new Deuce' in the forums. Lot of good stories and tips buried in those. Congratulations on the new truck, drive safe and enjoy!

muddog

Go pick it up, hug it, kiss it, drive it home and call it your on. Thats what I did when I got mine. Builder77 met me when I picked mine up and showed me everything I needed to know to drive it home. It's been a year almost and the wife is still jealous.