• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy hell šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

HUMMER H1

guys I am still in shock what happened yesterday,
driving my M1223 ( she was running beautifully) 27.000 miles on the truck,

truck was running absolutely perfect
driving about 45 mph
I noticed Rpm would not go back down
I thought IP spring broke

I tried to slow down, thankfully 12k brakes did slow down,
I Turned off the switch while in gear, it kept running,
I knew it was a run away engine.

I didnt put it in park, I tried neutral for a less than a second, engine Rpm took off
But I did it so fast and back to gear that engine didn't have time to over rev.

my Gf was with me, I asked her to switch seats and press brakes as hard as she can while truck is in gear and running

I got out opened the hood and pulled the IP wire, it kept running,

Transmission in gear kept RPM down about 2500 range
I tried to cover the air intake, it didnā€™t work ,
I had one option only, cut the fuel line,

after about 45 seconds engine stopped,

wow šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø scary shit, if she wasnā€™t with me, I donā€™t know what I would of done, because if I put it in park engine would of blow immediately.

I had to call my worker to give me a ride to get my Tacoma and the tow bars to tow the humvee away,

Traumatized from this,

I never heard DB2 run away beforeIMG_7428.jpeg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there, done thatā€¦.my story.
left a paid Gig for a photo shoot, went to get on the expressway and as I slowed for traffic the engine raced, threw it into neutral, bad idea if I wanted a blown motor, back into gear to lower rpmā€™s, foot on the brak, I turned off the truckā€¦.no go
pulled over in park, engine red lining, pooped hoodā€¦pulled the lead for the fuel cutoff solenoid, NO GO
slammed hood, jumped in and kept going while,I tried to wrap my head around the whole thing.
At this point, my only thought was to get to the freeway on ramp and head back towards home as best I could, 45 miles to be exact.
I somehow made it to the on ramp on the expressway way by going as slow as possible with foot on the brake and timing the traffic lights so I could keep going ā€œeasier said than doneā€.
once On the freeway, I called the wife, I told her to start heading my way so we would meet up, being it was a Sunday, I figured traffic would be lightā€¦hell no, it was San Jose Calif and every idiot in Calif was driving that Sunday. While driving I pulled the engine cover offā€¦my plan?
To cut the fuel filter hose with my knifeā€¦..but that plan quickly lost my confidence because that engine was soooo hot it would have probably caught fire, myself include.
As I perilously made my way towards the long grade that I had to navigate, I saw miles of brake lights for miles!
WELL, it was time to sh*t or get off the potā€¦.i pulled over at an off ramp, engine blazing away, I used my fingers to act as a pair of pliers and pinched off the fuel line into the filter housing with everything I hadā€¦.the motor sputtered and died!
A call to my wife revealed she was 15min from my location, my next call was to AAA, 15mins later the tow truck picked me up, wife arrived and home we wentā€¦

Post inspection the following day revealed that the fuel cutoff switch inside the pump cover has a hard plastic it sits in, that plastic broke into pieces and dropped into the spring loaded armature, the armature was blocked from returning via the spring tension to kill the flow of fuel and kill the engine, I removed the offending pieces and I replaced the top cover on the pump, fired the engine up and everything worked as normal.
subsequently Ive found similar pieces in other trucks I inspected ever since this event.

lessons learned?
carry a pair of needle nose in your truck, the quickest solution is to open the hood and pinch off the drain back hose on the top of the injection pump.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WoW!

This being my first diesel, I too was concerned about this so I posted a thread asking if this was a valid concern. The consensus of the forum was that run-aways were of no concern, and did not happen!

Now I am concerned again. I think I will install a brass valve to cut-off fuel supply or return line. I think the rubber hoses are 3/8" ID?

Last edited:

HUMMER H1

Any diesel can become a runaway, one way is severely excessive blow by and a saturated CDR, the excess oil can combust as part of the fuel it needs to operate.
This is rare as rare comesā€¦
I agree any diesel can be run a way
But itā€™s so rare on DB2 itā€™s probably 0.01% or something?
DS4 with PMD has those split second runaway feeling when itā€™s failing

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need a 5 point security torx drive bit to remove the screws, I usually set the bit in the screws and tap on them with a small hammer to help break the screws loose.

HUMMER H1

You will need a 5 point security torx drive bit to remove the screws, I usually set the bit in the screws and tap on them with a small hammer to help break the screws loose.
yes I bought that security 5 point tool,

truck is fixed and runs like a charm šŸ˜šŸ’Ŗ

To be clear, the plastic piece that broke off wasnā€™t from shut off solenoid, it was from the secondary solenoid that has a wire inside the pump,
I donā€™t know what that is for,

older humvees donā€™t have that solenoid in there injection pumps .
IMG_7442.jpegIMG_7443.jpeg

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be clear, the plastic piece that broke off wasnā€™t from shut off solenoid, it was from the secondary solenoid that has a wire inside the pump,

older humvees donā€™t have that solenoid in there injection pumps
[/QUOTE]

The smaller solenoid is the cold advance solenoid.

HUMMER H1

older humvees donā€™t have that solenoid in there injection pumps
The smaller solenoid is the cold advance solenoid.
[/QUOTE]

ahh ok
Thank you,
I should rename that piece as nightmare advance solenoid

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes I bought that security 5 point tool,

truck is fixed and runs like a charm šŸ˜šŸ’Ŗ

older humvees donā€™t have that solenoid in there injection pumps .
View attachment 915577View attachment 915578
Every HMMWV I have seen has the cold advance solenoid

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks