• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HOLY.......someone wanted this one bad LOL

SixBuy

I'm sure glad to hear y'all commenting on theat $7500 deuce. I watched and wanted for a month... Added up the cost to go from Dallas to CA and back to inspect it and figured it was a crap shoot! What the heck.

I dropped out of the bidding at $5500 thinking somebody was getting basically a brand new truck for $7500. So what was I missing? It looked like it only had 5 miles/54 hours looking at the paint, tires, pedal pads, etc. The top bows, seat/side rails. stack , top, etc were crated up in the bed. Did somebody drop it in the bay while loading in on a ship?

Tell me something to make me feel good again...

Still looking! :shakehead: :cry:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't knock GL. My son and I have made multiple purchases from them and were pleased with the items and the cooperative attitude of the personnel. It may now be a thing of the past, but he bought a M35 from GL out of Ft. Knox for $1900, drove it home, added a whistler turbo, and turned up the fuel. We have used the truck extensively with no problems. Plenty of power! We pulled a five ton tractor we bought from GL at Indy home 110 miles with the deuce without having to drop out of OD on the hills. The tractor also started up, ran and drove with little work.

spicergear

I've pulled a few things out of GL too. You just gotta keep an eye on stuff...and hope the driveshafts are straight!

Commenting on the fluctuations of pricing... My buddy just dropped $5000 for a clean dropside deuce, NO winch. We looked at it and I told him it felt about a grand high. He bought it, has griped about the tires on it since and wants to replace with Firestones, and almost puked last week when he stumbled across one for $2500. WAY TO GO IMPULSE BUYER!!! [thumbzup]

Low-Tech-Redneck

I can also vouch that the appearance of a deuce in the picture on the GL site is a very poor indicator of how good it is in real life.

The deuce my dad and I checked out in Carlisle looked fine in the picture from GL, but in person, we saw what the picture did not reveal. EVERY SINGLE glass piece was broken, like someone had deliberately pelted it with rocks. That wasn't obvious in the picture.

There was rust, in excess of what was acceptable for minor clean up. (The truck had a camo pattern of some kind on it, so in the pic, the rust looked to be part of the paint) and the general ammount of damage and vandalism was high, little dents in and of themselves weren't doing any harm, but really made the truck look like a total heap. Granted we just wanted one to toy around with, but, we didn't want one that looked like that.

Also, buying one blind like that puts you at a REAL disadvantage should there be a mechanical problem, like a broken gear in the tranny, or a bad turbo, so you may not only be shelling out a lot more than you should, but you'll also be buying a broken truck.

Also, most people outside the deuce community have no idea of "market" value for the trucks. They assume larger vehicles always cost more, so somthing that's 2.5X bigger than thier Honda should cost 2.5X as much in cash.

People have guessed that we paid between 8K and 12K for the truck, so that's part of how these rediculously large bids get started, people don't do research, and are ignorant of when they're being taken to the cleaners, or they commit the biggest fallicy of bidding, they get attached emotionaly to the item, and thier check-writing hand runs out ahead of thier brain.

jasonjc

I just got one from GL in OKC ,OK the pic showed the radiator was gone and the winch was to. it didn't show or say that eng/tran was about to be pulled out it was just seating in the truck. got it home remount the pack hook up a start switch (put oil back in it) and it started right up runs great. does have alot of leaks and/or seeps drive great stops good but only paid $960 for it. think (hope) i did ok tell me what you all think

JohnnyReb

Having only bought trucks from DRMO and never from GL, I don't know much about that subject; however, the reference truck may not be too high. Deuces and 5 tons are sought after equipment in the commercial world. If that deuce is basically new and will not need replacement parts, will be dependable and require only routine maintenance for years to come.....many contractors would consider it a very good deal. Try and buy a new civilian truck with the same features as the deuce; cost over 45K!

fredrader

I never even thought about getting another deuce after I got rid of my old 53 GMC Deuce about 20yrs ago..I figured they were way out of my price range (Like 8-$10,000) but since I started looking around it seems $5000 is pretty much the norm for one in real good shape..I think we (Elohim1 and I) just got lucky finding 2 for $5800...His 65 Jeep Corp M35A2 LDT 465 D for $3000 and my 70 AM General M35A2 LDT 465 C for $2800 and we both drove em home [thumbzup] ...

cten

America the land of oportunity? Still not quite sure what they ment by that? (for the seller or scam artist)?

Buyer Beware!!!

I do not buy anything without seeing it first.

Except for the duece I purchased.

Took a big chance and big leap of faith and fortunately was not burnt on it.

I can see why the prices are going so high. I think it may be because of Iraq and Afganistan and supporting the troops?

In New England you do not see trucks like this much.

When I was at the inspection station getting the sticker the inspection only took 10 minutes.

The answering the questions to about 8 machanics took an hour.

Where did you buy that, how much did it cost, how did you find it. etc....

I will say it turns heads and my kids love going for rides and I get my upper body workout 2x3 times a week.

I've been told that I could put this truck on my fathers friends lot and sell the truck for $14,000.00 and it would be gone in less than a week.

Just because of what it is and what it represents and how clean it is.

Like someone said earlier. You can get carried away when bidding on things and love is blind and you may spend more that what makes more sense to most.

Regards,