• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holy Turbocharger Meltdown!!!

kapnklug

The end of the story: finally finished putting the engine back together with rebuilt turbo and the 6.5 heads; runs as well as before once warmed up, but first start of the day means alot of blue smoke and chuggity-chug, even when garaged. Definitely took some damage to the rings on the 200mi drive back on the interstate, but hey what can ya do. Still totally driveable, and just in time for the snow.
LESSONS LEARNED:
-- Don't use rebuilt turbo's. Bought this one on Fleabay as used but in good shape, ended up rebuilding it myself when it was not useable (another $150 and huge PITA), and then the wastegate failed (not part of the rebuild kit).
-- Fleabay won't help you. Turns out the dispute-resolution window on Fleabay is only 45 days; if you have a problem after that it's tuff-titty for you. I didn't try to put the turbo on for a couple months after I bought it.
-- Don't get bargain machine work on Fleabay. That 99% feedback score was given right after the guy received his part, six months later when it failed you can't leave further feedback. I've got some feedback for those guys at CYLINDER HEADS INTERNATIONAL, lemme tell ya. See previous rants.
-- These motors are a swiss watch. One little thing goes wrong and the whole thing becomes a boat anchor in no time. Barely saved this one.

Brett09

Glad to hear you are back on the road. How did the #1 cycl walls look when you had the heads off? Also a block heater wouldn't a bad idea. Help it get to driving temp faster.

kapnklug

No visible damage to the #1 cylinder wall, so I was HOPING for a slightly better outcome. But at least it's back on the road and power feels about the same.
Oh yes, I have a block heater. Here in upstate NY it will be below zero pretty soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks