• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home heating oil filter on a Mep fuel line?

Ratch

Hopefully this isn't a tired question, I couldn't find it in a search. I'm sure I can't be the first to think of this, though.

I can't find a good fuel filter replacement for my Mep geographically near me. I want to get it fired up tonight, and Lowes/Home Depot have the heating oil filters on the shelf and easy to plumb in.

Any reason I should NOT do this? They can clean down to 10 micron.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The last one I saw like that had what appeared to be "steel wool" as a filter media. You don't have a napa or auto parts place near you? Are you out of power?

ETN550

The engine will probably tolerate it but I don't think it is the best idea. If you are running straight pump diesel then it is already pretty clean. If you run heating oil it can be much more dirty.

A truck store or NAPA has the real deal like a RACOR filter / separator. Then you have peace of mind, but expensive.

What you show in your pic is better than nothing. If it really is 10 micron...

Carl_in_NH

My first thought would be that an oil burner can tolorate a lot more in the way of crud or chunks going through the pump and nozzle than your MEP IP could take without serious damage.

It's likely better than nothing, but I don't think I'd convert over to using them instead of the stock filter system. I would be curious to know how small a partical they are able to filter out with these burner filters.

Ratch

The last one I saw like that had what appeared to be "steel wool" as a filter media. You don't have a napa or auto parts place near you? Are you out of power?
Nah, power is fine, wife's out of town for the night...

Do you have a WalMart nearby?

Walmart.com: SeaSense Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kit: Fishing & Marine

Doghead thanks, I saw those in Walmart last night, but I could not figure out if they were diesel compatible. That link you sent me says "do not use with diesel", so Walmart's out. It sure would be nice if they carried auto parts, though... Or if Napa stayed open 24/7.

The engine will probably tolerate it but I don't think it is the best idea. If you are running straight pump diesel then it is already pretty clean. If you run heating oil it can be much more dirty.

A truck store or NAPA has the real deal like a RACOR filter / separator. Then you have peace of mind, but expensive.

What you show in your pic is better than nothing. If it really is 10 micron...
I'm running heating oil, that's what I keep around for my backhoe. I'm going to have to hit Napa tomorrow.

My first thought would be that an oil burner can tolorate a lot more in the way of crud or chunks going through the pump and nozzle than your MEP IP could take without serious damage.

It's likely better than nothing, but I don't think I'd convert over to using them instead of the stock filter system. I would be curious to know how small a partical they are able to filter out with these burner filters.

They say 10 micron. Unless I overlooked something, that seems to be the smallest the mep filters get.
I don't know if oil burners can tolerate more dirt. They also have a secondary filter in the nozzle.

Last edited:

coyote62ny

oil filter fram ch6pl fuel filter c1125pl the napa cross or wix cross for these fuel filters are to short and dont seal in the cans so the fuel just goes around the filter . the napa or wix oil filter does not fit right and comes with the wrong gasket . do your self a favor and just get the right fram filters.at racemart fram filters are cheap ch6pl oil filter 4.90 c1125pl fuel filter 6.09 at racemart 1-813-319-5666. hope this helps

Ratch

oil filter fram ch6pl fuel filter c1125pl the napa cross or wix cross for these fuel filters are to short and dont seal in the cans so the fuel just goes around the filter . the napa or wix oil filter does not fit right and comes with the wrong gasket . do your self a favor and just get the right fram filters.at racemart fram filters are cheap ch6pl oil filter 4.90 c1125pl fuel filter 6.09 at racemart 1-813-319-5666. hope this helps

[thumbzup]
Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, I think a few guys have posted that they used that filter setup on their CUCVs.

I'm sure you can get a diesel rated filter for it, later.

Sorry, I missed the fact it says it is not rated for diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks