• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home made 10 ton goosneck using military axles.

spicergear

How are you not going to be over the factory GCWR of the Dodge with a 20,000lb GVWR trailer?
Seriously...do you know the Gross Combined Weight Rating of the Dodge? I know in PA, once you're over 10,001lbs on the trailer GVWR, it MUST be added to GVWR or the truck. For example: A 2010 we have at work, 3500 Chevrolet with an 11,200 GVWR and a GCWR or 18,200...but that rating is if it has the 4.10 rear it's 2,000lbs less if it has the 3.73's which I'm not sure.

Anyway, HOW do you pull a trailer with a gross of 20,000lbs with a GCWR or 18,200? Even the newest Chevy Diesel that can be gotten is at like 27,000lbs gross (which is CDL material) still legally wouldn't be able to haul a trailer with a gross of 20,000lbs.

Someone want to edjamacate me on how this is legally gonna work?

Bighurt

Maybe he has a CDL or depending on state a non commercial class A, works if its registered as an RV.

Or perhaps he wants the trailer for a future truck. I know I used a 36' GN on my recovery. GVWR for the trailer was 22500, and I pulled it fine with my F350. I just had to watch the load. I was close to 18k at one point which technically put me over my license limit and the trucks rated capacity but it was a chance I took through rural Kansas to ND. Just because the trailer can doesn't mean it will.

Stalwart

Up to my GCVW of 34,500 I just tow and try not to abuse anything. When I exceed that, I'm mindful of the extra weight and stress on the truck and do my best to make everything as smooth as possible. In any case it is a rare occurance that I even use all the throttle and then on only smooth uphil grades, otherwise I keep to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when pulling. With 4.88 rear gears, my truck is made for pulling.

Just call me Jack, thread Jack. rofl

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton flatbed MV trailers use a smaller 6-bolt tire and rim that will fit a M105. 16.5 tires. But capacity is limited by the smaller tire.

n0rlander

A bus frame is just too wimpy for your intended weight carrying capability. My little gooseneck has 21 lb/ft. wide flange I-beam plus torque tube.

I agree on the Dexter axles, I use 2 - 12,000 axles with electric/hydraulic disc brakes. My truck stops itself and ther trailer stops itself and the load. No hot brakes here!
You seem to have extensive knowledge of every imaginable school bus frame in the world with the general statement "A bus frame is just too wimpy for your intended weight carrying capability. "
Attached are pictures of the half inch thick steel frame rails that the bus body bolts to. Its obviously strong enough to support the weight of the bus body, the driveline, and 60+ precious grade school souls barreling down the freeway at 65mph(downhill with a tail wind)
I guess I should have clarified a little more. I would like the axles to be overkill having the capacity to have 20k on them. I wouldn't in my right mind attempt to haul such a load.
Thanks again for the help with the axle suggestions. Dexter axles would be expensive. Anyone in washington state with the axles stated above selling?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would need to box the frame to get any strenght out of it at all . Bus frames are, designed to distribute weight not carry it , the bus body factors into the strenght of the frame for the original intended pupose. You would be further ahead to leave the bus axel in because without extensive work the frame won't handle any more weight than what the bus axel will.

Stalwart

A SCHOOL bus frame, you want a real flexible flyer then? 60 - 100 lb kids weighing what 6,000 lbs, and quite many frames are heat treated so you won't be welding to them or you are risking lives. From an industry publication:

"Welding on a heat treated frame is catastrophic," Carver said. Heat damage will occur and the fatigue strength will be greatly reduced. "The damage is not always evident immediately after welding. It may appear after the unit has been returned to service for some time." But the damage is traceable back to the point of origin, the welding done on a heat-treated frame.

Are you a certified welder? If not, and you don't employ one, your trailer will also be illegal. Making a proper trailer requires ENGINEERING and a jig, not a bunch of metal cobbed together with tape measure in hand. On the other hand, if this is a trailer for farm use and it stays off road, who really cares.

n0rlander

The main purpose behind this conversion is to make me more mobile and to maintain one less engine. Not to come up with a flatbed goosneck to haul 20k with. I have a bus I live in and a truck. If I want to pick up and go I cant drive both away at the same time. If it turns out that the frame is not suitable to use as a trailer alone without the bus body that is just fine. Thanks for the info on the heat treated frame issue. Definitely a deciding factor in all of this. Ill check for a "do not weld" stamp. If it turns out it is not heat treated it is as simple as attaching surplus military axles(to lower it for one, and to relieve some of the tongue weight for 2nd's) removing and selling the driveline, and fabricating a way for my truck to tow the bus. The simplest way seems to utilize a goosneck design. I guess this is getting into the fabrication side of things but if you guys see a different approach im open to suggestions. A lot of you seem to have a lot of experience with trailers, heavy stuff on them, and fabrication.
Thanks again for taking the time to read/post
Sua sponte

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
as simple as attaching surplus military axles(to lower it for one, and to relieve some of the tongue weight for 2nd's)
Maybe you should look into what you are talking about. I doubt you will "lower" anything with military axles. Not sure what you mean about tongue weight.

n0rlander

Looking into what I am talking about, Having trailer axles will allow me to run smaller wheels without having to consider the massive differential I have now. Putting the axles forward slightly will relieve how much weight is on the goosneck. I appreciate everyones comments but really im just looking for military axle information

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a guy on the northwest coast that was going to scap some 105 axels do a search , and since you don't have your state listed in your location ( site rules require it for this reason) I can't tell you if he is close to you or not.

Last edited:

Josh

They already ended up in the scrap yard. But they weigh about 500lbs a peice with out the springs. Heavy birds, and Id say the axle housing tube was just shy of 5/8s thick steel. Gave my little oxy/acty torch a run for its money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks