• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home made direct drive starter bracket using angle iron - How to.

K9Vic

The M1009 I am working on I found that the started bracket was missing for the OEM direct drive starter. So yet again I had to make one as they do not exist anymore and will see if that helps before I pull out the starter. Since this comes up sometimes I decided to make a separate post on how to make one of these if you have the right tools. It is a simple project with a welder, grinder and drill. Take a 1/8" thick 1-1/4" high angle iron and cut it to length and cut a slit out of it to bend it and weld it in place.

To get the length I took the OEM inside the angle iron and rolled it down and marked that as my cutting point.
From there I cut it and looked to where the angle started and marked my lines and angle cut, about a 40 degree angle.

IMG_9570.jpgIMG_9576.jpgIMG_9573.jpg

Cut is rough and is tightened up after bending it.
The last two pictures show it is even and ready for a good weld. (It actually got closer bending it some more)
I also cut down the ends to shorten it slightly, but it really does not need to be done.
IMG_9577.jpgIMG_9580.jpg
IMG_9587.jpgIMG_9583.jpg

Holes drilled out to match the OEM bracket, you line them up with both on a flat surface.
Oblong the holes slightly to match, but used correct width drill bit.
Welded and the outside I grind down to look nice.
IMG_9594.jpgIMG_9595.jpg

Painted to protect it from rust with 5 coats.
IMG_9598.jpg

So that is it, real simple to make one of these since they cannot be bought anymore. I have had one in my last M1009 for a year and many starts with no problems, so they hold up well. I do not have a cost as I am using scrap angle iron, but should not be over $20 if you had to get one from the hardware store.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Here are pictures of the first one I made, I think the latest one turned out nicer looking. But these pictures give you all a better idea of the angles it matches.

Starter-Bracket-Homemade-07.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-05.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-03.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-01.jpg

My first one I made installed on my previous M1009. Last picture is the OEM from my M1031 that I used as a map for making it.
Starter-Bracket-Homemade-11.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-10.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-09.jpg

If you use new bolts, make sure you use flanged M8 1.25 for the engine block and a flanged 1/4-20 for the starter. Use highest grade you can get and yeah, it is a mix of Metric and SAE.

52066272.jpg

Last edited: