• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home Spun OD CB Radio

BigRix

After getting outbid on a Cobra 29 LTD Army I decided to roll my own.

It all started when I came across an old speaker in my dads shed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347055538.100142.jpg

I did a little more digging and came across a Realistic radio covered in dust. Here's a pic after some scrubbing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347055638.832971.jpg

Rewired the speaker and put some silicone on a small tear in the cone. Pluged in the radio and made sure it worked then pulled it apart for paint.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347055842.565824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347055869.328272.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347055887.204283.jpg

Think it looks the part and best of all it works and sounds way better than the radio I took out. I was talking a lot further and they guys I was talking to asked if I was running a linear. I like it.

Total cost $10

jw4x4

Are you able to hear it without shutting off the engine? Can anyone make out what you are saying? I have considered adding a CB to my 09, but thought it would be useless. I have great success with my Peltor Powercoms.

BigRix

With my old radio without the external speaker I could not talk and drive at the same time. Too loud.

The old radio with the external speaker was also a no go.

This set up works great.

I also picked up a Sigtronics Spo-20 that I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into the truck without spending an arm and a leg for headsets. Any suggestions?

eagle4g63

It's pretty funny, I have been getting out bid on an Army Cobra also.......I have also decided I am going to also just paint one up OD, should be getting my hands on it this week. I was thinking of using a military speaker from a vic system and just changing out the speaker itself but retain the military box.

What kind of radio were you using before that you couldn't hear with?