• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home Transmission Flush?

MarcusOReallyus

The only thing I didn't agree with. It makes it so much easier to do it right, and who cares if the next owner chooses not to? For the time the current owner has it, it will be much easier to do the next time.

Yep. The next owner is responsible for what he does with the vehicle. For myself, I don't see any sense in slopping trans fluid over the side of a pan. That design is pure idiocy.

Tanner

Idaho - Zero anger or indignation intended. If any was taken, then it's a personal issue.

The primary reason that drain plugs were removed from trans pans was so that people would drop the pan, inspect for debris, and replace the filter. A little info digging on the part of some respondents would also tell you that you can disconnect (at the Transmission) the transmission cooler Return line coming from the radiator, slip a 6'-8' piece of clear plastic tubing snugly over the hardline, and route the other end of tubing into large catch vessel - the tubing length allows you to place the catch vessel in view where you can watch it fill - crank up the vehicle, and with it idling in Park, the trans pump will push the fluid into the catch vessel, draining the majority of the fluid from the transmission pan. Then drop the pan. Reconnect cooler line. Finish checking transmission pan for debris & replace filter/gasket. Button it all back up.

Magpul: Quote - "Id like to have all synthetic fluid rather than a mix." >> My Point: you will have a mix, even if you use the method you mention. Question is, what ratio will the mix of non-syn/syn fluid be?

It's your vehicle to do with as you see fit.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

magpul_556

i dont know man, i just figured it was better to have all new fluid whether it be synthetic or not. by the sounds of all this mess above, i should just use conventional and just do a filter and pan service. this trucks quite a few years older than i am, i have no experience or knowledge about transmissions. i was just looking for some advice. you all seem like you know a **** of a lot more about this stuff than i do so thats why i asked for advice. it seems a little tense round here...people get pretty wound up about tranny fluid i guess.

Jake59

Hello,

I realize this an old thread, from 2012 and do not intend to re-open the flush or filter debate, but out of curiosity, a pan drop with filter change requires about 4Qt fresh ATF to be added to the deep pan as found on our CUCV, right!?

How much ATF would it take to fill a completely empty TH400 and an empty Torque Converter? Is it fair to say: 6Qts for A/T + 5 Qts for the TC = 11 Qts?

Thanks,
Jake

MarcusOReallyus

I'm just guessing based on doing that on a Ford (351, E4OD), that was (get ready for this) SEVENTEEN quarts, so I'm guessing your 11 quarts might be a bit shy.

shotty

Having just done this, it was at least 12 quarts. I know for a fact I went through four gallons between transfer case and transmission, put 5 quarts in the tcase, and still had to add a few quarts on top for the trans.

cucvrus

Yes I buy ATF in a 5 gallon pail and never used an entire pail in a complete teardown and replacement with new torque converter. Not much left in the 5 gallon pail but not empty. If you have the pan down you may as well put a deeper pan with a drain plug in place. Or add a drain plug to the one you have. Good Luck.

nyoffroad

I haven't read all the post so with that in mind...
The only time and thing I flush besides a toilet is a transmission oil cooler! And that is done before installing a new or rebuilt tranny, Commercial products are available but $$$ so I use low PSI compressed air and ATF simple and cheap.

dependable

The manual actually says 9 pints pan drain, 22 pints overhaul, not quarts, hey I'm getting old and the writing is small,. Anyway, the newly installed tranny did take 22 pints, (11 quarts or 10 liters). The transfer case is 5 quarts (NP-208 ).

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't read all the post so with that in mind...
The only time and thing I flush besides a toilet is a transmission oil cooler! And that is done before installing a new or rebuilt tranny, Commercial products are available but $$$ so I use low PSI compressed air and ATF simple and cheap.
Would you mind letting me know what your transmission cooler flush procedure is? We had the C6 thrust bearing destruct in the transfer case of our truck and we need to flush out the transmission cooler before putting things back together. We think most of the bearing parts are stuck inside and need to get them out, and don't really want to pay $150 to the local transmission shop to flush it if there is a reliable way to get it done at home.

MarcusOReallyus

That's easy. Get a couple of cans of transmission cooler flush from your local parts store (NAPA carries it). Disconnect the line from the transmission. Shoot the contents of the cans through the line. IIRC, you flush in the same direction as the normal flow.

They say one can is enough, but the price of a transmission vs. the price of an extra can..... Yeah, I use two cans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks